Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

[!] New Forum Features!!

X Factor Clips

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
4444 wrote:Lovely (although currently useless to me, alas, as I mainly use Opera), but what is the point in, for example, going through the process of hitting Shift, Alt and then 'H' in order to return to the Forum Index when you can just move your mouse over, click on Forum Index and... et voila? :shrug:

You can also use the red, orange and green buttons at the top left of every post to navigate ( saves scrolling up to the top ) - hover over them to see which does which. :thumb:

Ah, now that is quite useful. Bravo for that!

Posted on

reposting as it bumped off the page:

OK, lets see how this goes. I've made some changes to the format on the front page

The idea of Smeggy's a general forum and for fun as well as serious. :thumb: I appreciate that not everyone is into politics and also that some are just into politics.

To put things into perspective there are currently 20,311 threads, 3,728 are politics threads. That means only 18% of threads on the forum are about Politics.

Now becuase of the traditional way the right hand side top topic list is structured it appears that there are more politics threads than there are in reality.

Without a right sidebar list then it's a lot easier to ignore sub-forums that have content you aren't interested in, for example someone not interested in celebs or cooking could simply not open up those particular forums, and likewise with politics, TV or whatever.

The right sidebar list though very handy and makes the forum very quick to use, but the caveat is that it shoves topics of all sub-sections in everyone's face whether they are interested in them or not.

So what I've done in order to let that majority of threads, the 82%, not get overshadowed by the politics threads is to split the politics threads into a separate list underneath on the right sidebar - check it out! :thumb:

For those not into politics, then now if you don't scroll down or open the politics forum you won't even see them. For those just into politics the politics threads are now on their own list so you don't have to see non politics threads.

Hopefully this will be a good improvement. Let me know you get on with it folks!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I would hope that nobody would be into just one thing, Smeggy, or, whilst undoubtedly making them an expert, it would also surely make them terminally dull. :D

Oh, so Politics has its own, seperate little section now, does it? Nice. How... considerate (of those who are solely into Politics, of course). Shall we have a seperate Scotland section too?

Posted on

Awesome, Smeggy. Keep up the good work, bro. I realise that it's very, very difficult to please all of the people all of the time and crumbs appreciates the work you put into this forum.

Voltaire: "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise."

Gusset-Sniffer
Current Mood: Sniffing gussets

Posted on

Thanks Crumbs. Always trying to make the place better for everyone. :thumb:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Good work Smegs! What's the other 82% comprise of? May want to subdivide the right side bar to more divisions. :D

On a roll!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Paranoid!

Posted on

Opethian wrote:Good work Smegs! What's the other 82% comprise of? May want to subdivide the right side bar to more divisions. :D

if anything else gets overwhelming in the general topic list then it's easily done :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Evenin folks. :)

Just wondering how everyone is getting on with the new split top topics list, 'Top General Topics' at top and 'Top Politics Topics' further down, underneath. ?

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I simply cover the top half of my screen so I only see the Politics topics. LOL.

Voltaire: "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise."

Gusset-Sniffer

Posted on

I like it. Not sure if i'm imagining it but it seems to have led to more threads/posts overall?

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Can you see both on your screen without scrolling down?

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Can you see both on your screen without scrolling down?

No I have to scroll down. That's not a problem. Though I guess for a newbie who doesn't know about it things might be different.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Yes, on all of my computers. However, I guess it will depend on your screen resolution, 'innit?

Gusset-Sniffer

Posted on

Resonance wrote:

No I have to scroll down. That's not a problem. Though I guess for a newbie who doesn't know about it things might be different.

This is what I am deliberating about. I'm trying to get the right number of entries in each list. I run 1600x1200 screens here and can see them both easily, but I'm wondering that even regulars might forget to scroll down ( it took me a little while to get used to even looking down at the politics list. )

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I use my laptop more than anything 1366x768.

If I'm scrolled right to the top (so I can see the Smeggy's logo in full) then I can see the first 19 lines of the 'Top General Topics' list.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Cheers Res, that's useful to know :thumb:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Saying that it depends on how much I'm zoomed in. If I zoom out enough (ctrl and - button 4 times) I can see both lists. I can't read sweet fa though because the text is tiny.

So it will depend on how big people like the text as well.

What about shrinking the general list to say 15??

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

I've already shrunk the general list, but then threads disappear of it too quickly if you make it too small. It's a difficult one to get right as the list is very handy, but it does also mean that anything not on the list tends to get forgotten, unless you deliberaetly enter a sub-forum.

I have to admit I rarely look elsewhere than the main list :oops: :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I've already shrunk the general list, but then threads disappear of it too quickly if you make it too small. It's a difficult one to get right as the list is very handy, but it does also mean that anything not on the list tends to get forgotten, unless you deliberaetly enter a sub-forum.

Yes, me too. Just about the only time I go into a sub-forum is if I'm starting a thread.

99% of the time I just look at the topics list and the 'view your topics' bit.

Is an expandable topics list possible? Say 15 lines visible and then a clickable + sign to expand the list?

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:I've already shrunk the general list, but then threads disappear of it too quickly if you make it too small. It's a difficult one to get right as the list is very handy, but it does also mean that anything not on the list tends to get forgotten, unless you deliberaetly enter a sub-forum.

Yes, me too. Just about the only time I go into a sub-forum is if I'm starting a thread.

99% of the time I just look at the topics list and the 'view your topics' bit.

Is an expandable topics list possible? Say 15 lines visible and then a clickable + sign to expand the list?

Yup you could certainly program a button click able to toggle the size of the list - I was wondering if a cookie value could be used to customise various view features and save them per user. It would annoying to have to expand a list everytime you returned to the main page

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

PreviousNext

Share this Topic on Twitter and Facebook:

Return to X-factor Clips