Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Cindy Beale's accent in Corrie

A fly on the wall observing the fictional escapes of the soap world.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
tango15 wrote:As a northerner myself, I don't have a problem with her accent. I don't watch Corrie regularly, but I've seen a couple of episodes with her in it, and I tend to agree with Annie.

I think the criticism is coming from those within the media, stirred up by critics. Corrie has long since lost its' way, and has not won any awards for many years. Frankly I think the whole programme needs a total overhaul, with less time spent in the Rovers (because it's too easy to write stuff around it, and pubs are closing down everywhere, especially in working-class areas), and a bit more humour injected into it.


hey that's an idea!!

They should close the Rovers and turn it into something else!!

If it's anything like around here, it'll turn into a Polish 7-11 shop.

btw Tangs, what you say about Corrie needing an overhaul, I feel the same about Emmerdale. Absolutely dreadful these days.


Watched Emmerdale at a mate's house a couple of weeks ago, just because it was on. I was struck about how similar the plot lines and characters are to Corrie, which is probably why it's not doing too well either.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. Ambrose Bierce (1842-1913)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare. The internet has proved that this is not the case...

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 6578
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:45 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
tango15 wrote:As a northerner myself, I don't have a problem with her accent. I don't watch Corrie regularly, but I've seen a couple of episodes with her in it, and I tend to agree with Annie.

I think the criticism is coming from those within the media, stirred up by critics. Corrie has long since lost its' way, and has not won any awards for many years. Frankly I think the whole programme needs a total overhaul, with less time spent in the Rovers (because it's too easy to write stuff around it, and pubs are closing down everywhere, especially in working-class areas), and a bit more humour injected into it.


hey that's an idea!!

They should close the Rovers and turn it into something else!!

If it's anything like around here, it'll turn into a Polish 7-11 shop.

btw Tangs, what you say about Corrie needing an overhaul, I feel the same about Emmerdale. Absolutely dreadful these days.


Emmerdale???..There's more fun in a mortuary.



User avatar
Super Smegsterwegsta
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:00 pm
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Changeable

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Rocky wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
tango15 wrote:As a northerner myself, I don't have a problem with her accent. I don't watch Corrie regularly, but I've seen a couple of episodes with her in it, and I tend to agree with Annie.

I think the criticism is coming from those within the media, stirred up by critics. Corrie has long since lost its' way, and has not won any awards for many years. Frankly I think the whole programme needs a total overhaul, with less time spent in the Rovers (because it's too easy to write stuff around it, and pubs are closing down everywhere, especially in working-class areas), and a bit more humour injected into it.


hey that's an idea!!

They should close the Rovers and turn it into something else!!

If it's anything like around here, it'll turn into a Polish 7-11 shop.

btw Tangs, what you say about Corrie needing an overhaul, I feel the same about Emmerdale. Absolutely dreadful these days.


Emmerdale???..There's more fun in a mortuary.


indeed. Those plastic Geordie sisters and plastic dancing robot Marlon, all obviously put in at an attempt in humour are absurd!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119358
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:What Corrie should do is axe the 'dead wood' characters like:

Emily Bishop
Betty Williams
Fiz Stape
Steve McDonald
Roy Cropper
Dev Alahan


Yes why have normal honest decent people like Betty and Emily or Roy ....we need more people who are evil ,twisted ,knarled nasty and can not keep their pecker in their pants or their knickers up . :roll:
The idea that so many in a tiny street have been banged up at one time or another ,or killed someone ,or have cheated on their spouse .has been the death of a once quality and very funny soap . The reason it was brilliant once was that it reflected real life.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
Scott Nelson wrote:What Corrie should do is axe the 'dead wood' characters like:

Emily Bishop
Betty Williams
Fiz Stape
Steve McDonald
Roy Cropper
Dev Alahan


Yes why have normal honest decent people like Betty and Emily or Roy ....we need more people who are evil ,twisted ,knarled nasty and can not keep their pecker in their pants or their knickers up . :roll:
The idea that so many in a tiny street have been banged up at one time or another ,or killed someone ,or have cheated on their spouse .has been the death of a once quality and very funny soap . The reason it was brilliant once was that it reflected real life.


Fukkin 'ell. People would switch off if the soap was about my road. The place is dead after 8pm and half comatose during the day!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119358
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:
Scott Nelson wrote:What Corrie should do is axe the 'dead wood' characters like:

Emily Bishop
Betty Williams
Fiz Stape
Steve McDonald
Roy Cropper
Dev Alahan


Yes why have normal honest decent people like Betty and Emily or Roy ....we need more people who are evil ,twisted ,knarled nasty and can not keep their pecker in their pants or their knickers up . :roll:
The idea that so many in a tiny street have been banged up at one time or another ,or killed someone ,or have cheated on their spouse .has been the death of a once quality and very funny soap . The reason it was brilliant once was that it reflected real life.


Fukkin 'ell. People would switch off if the soap was about my road. The place is dead after 8pm and half comatose during the day!!


That was not my point Smeggy ,of course they have to have interesting storylines ,but its the banter that is missing now and normal situations that people can relate to that is missing . and the idea that every two up, two downs, seems to have about 8 bedrooms :howl:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:
Scott Nelson wrote:What Corrie should do is axe the 'dead wood' characters like:

Emily Bishop
Betty Williams
Fiz Stape
Steve McDonald
Roy Cropper
Dev Alahan


Yes why have normal honest decent people like Betty and Emily or Roy ....we need more people who are evil ,twisted ,knarled nasty and can not keep their pecker in their pants or their knickers up . :roll:
The idea that so many in a tiny street have been banged up at one time or another ,or killed someone ,or have cheated on their spouse .has been the death of a once quality and very funny soap . The reason it was brilliant once was that it reflected real life.


Fukkin 'ell. People would switch off if the soap was about my road. The place is dead after 8pm and half comatose during the day!!


That was not my point Smeggy ,of course they have to have interesting storylines ,but its the banter that is missing now and normal situations that people can relate to that is missing . and the idea that every two up, two downs, seems to have about 8 bedrooms :howl:


What's hilarious aboutr Cornation Street is that behind the Rovers to the left is a railway bridge. yet the other side is the back of the houses.

makes no sense - see top left corner :rofl:

Click on image for full size:
Image

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119358
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      


-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119358
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      



I went to visit Corrie(Granada studio tour) about 17 years ago , I will dig out some pics and post them (it was fantastic ,honest). Funny I also visited about 20 years before that when I was a student studying Art and Set design , We met all of the old cast ,a brilliant bunch . They really made us feel welcome and took a great interest in our course . We sat and had lunch with them ,if you can believe it . Imagine that happening now ! :D




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:Michelle Collins' acting is atrocious. I thought she was brilliant in EastEnders, but in Corrie she is absolutely dire. Her accent is hideous and is not doing her any favours whatsoever.

I am amazed the stupid Corrie bosses aren't taking viewers' comments on board about Collins rather than continuously defending her.


Controversy Creates Cash I suppose. :shrug:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119358
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:Michelle Collins' acting is atrocious. I thought she was brilliant in EastEnders, but in Corrie she is absolutely dire. Her accent is hideous and is not doing her any favours whatsoever.

I am amazed the stupid Corrie bosses aren't taking viewers' comments on board about Collins rather than continuously defending her.


Well Scott I guess all you can hope for, is that the silly woman is in a Coma for the next three years till her contract runs out on Corrie :howl:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:A coma? I like that suggestion! :thumb:

Cindy turns up in Corrie and within a matter of weeks announces she is Leanne's mother!

It's so unrealistic! I also find it hard to picture her shagging Les Battersby! :throwup:


a bit like you shagging Jedward ???? its a picture I dont want in my head ........ :rofl:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:Cindy Beale's abysmal northern accent to end:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23792788

They've just brought Cindy Junior into EastEnders, so I hope they're not about to resurrect Cindy Beale from the dead a la Den Watts.



But added: "Creatively I need to play other roles".


IOW she's being given teh boot becuase she's crap.


Crap in Eastenders, crap in Corrie and crap in everything else.

here's a role ..... FUCK OFF!!!! :D

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119358
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
Scott Nelson wrote:Cindy Beale's abysmal northern accent to end:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23792788

They've just brought Cindy Junior into EastEnders, so I hope they're not about to resurrect Cindy Beale from the dead a la Den Watts.



But added: "Creatively I need to play other roles".


IOW she's being given teh boot becuase she's crap.


Crap in Eastenders, crap in Corrie and crap in everything else.

here's a role ..... FUCK OFF!!!! :D


She's a milf/gilf though :)



User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 19264
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Resonance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
Scott Nelson wrote:Cindy Beale's abysmal northern accent to end:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23792788

They've just brought Cindy Junior into EastEnders, so I hope they're not about to resurrect Cindy Beale from the dead a la Den Watts.



But added: "Creatively I need to play other roles".


IOW she's being given teh boot becuase she's crap.


Crap in Eastenders, crap in Corrie and crap in everything else.

here's a role ..... FUCK OFF!!!! :D


She's a milf/gilf though :)


She so hideous for me that the MILF aspect of her has liong since been erased :) - I probably would after a box of wine though :D :D

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119358
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Scott Nelson wrote:She has not been popular with the viewers and it was a mistake putting a former prolific EastEnders actress in such a big role in Corrie. Whatever next? Barbara Windsor as the new landlady of the Rovers with a fake Scouse accent?



Plenty of "Alleged" actors/actresses move from EastEnders/Corrie to Emmerdale and back as well. And Holby Shitty/Casualty and all those other rancid shitty soap dramas.


Problem is it ditracts from the actual drama as everyone is imagining the actor(ess) in their previous rancid shitty soap drama.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119358
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Previous

Return to Soaps

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron