Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Del Boy Scripter Writer dies

ha ha ha ha ha!!!! All shows funny of course!! ha ha ha ha!!!
Forum rules
No Laughing!! ------------------------------------- only joking :)

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Del Boy Scripter Writer dies

Only 64 too. :(

John Sullivan
John Sullivan, who wrote one of the best-loved British sitcoms, Only Fools and Horses, has died at the age of 64.

He had been in intensive care for six weeks at a hospital in Surrey, battling viral pneumonia.

He also wrote Citizen Smith and Just Good Friends, and the third and final episode of his latest work Rock & Chips will be shown on BBC One on Thursday.

Sir David Jason, who played Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses, said he was "devastated" at the loss of his friend.

He said: "We have lost our country's greatest comedy writer but he leaves us a great legacy, the gift of laughter. My thoughts at this time are with his lovely family."

BBC director general Mark Thompson said: "John had a unique gift for turning everyday life and characters we all know into unforgettable comedy."

The son of a plumber, he is survived by his wife Sharon and two sons, a daughter and two grandchildren.
'Heartfelt comedy'

Gareth Gwenlan, a producer of Only Fools and Horses, said his widow was "obviously devastated" and had her family around her.

The Corporation's head of comedy Mark Freeland added: "No-one understood what made us laugh and cry better than John Sullivan.

"He was the Dickens of our generation. Simply the best, most natural, most heartfelt comedy writer of our time."

He added: "Everything he wrote was basically about his life and the absurdities he faced, and the great characters he met.

"And they just struck a resonance with everyone in the nation - you don't get an audience of over 23 million people if you're not doing something right, and chiming bells with a huge amount of people."

Stephen Fry said he was "terribly saddened" by the news and described him on Twitter as "one of the great comedy writers of our time".

Only Fools and Horses - starring David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst as south London brothers Del and Rodney Trotter forever trying to make a quick fortune - was regularly voted Britain's favourite sitcom.

It ran for 10 years between 1981 and 1991, with several Christmas specials in the years that followed.

The 1996 special Time On Our Hands, which was billed as the final episode and saw Del Boy come good on his ambition to make himself and Rodney millionaires, was watched by more than 24 million people, a record for a sitcom in the UK.

The demand for follow-ups saw Sullivan eventually relent and return to the story of the Trotters from 2001 for occasional Christmas specials.

He also wrote a spin-off - The Green Green Grass, featuring Only Fools characters Boycie and Marlene - and a prequel, Rock & Chips, which documented Del Boy's early life.

Another show written by Sullivan, Just Good Friends, proved popular in the 1980s. It starred Paul Nicholas and Jan Francis as former lovers who meet up again five years after he jilted her.

John Sullivan, who was born in Balham, south London, in 1946, and always said his secret was that he wrote about what he knew, got his first job at the BBC as a scenery hand aged 16.

During his spare time he wrote sketches and got his first break when he submitted a script to well-known comedy producer Dennis Main Wilson, who loved it.

He was commissioned to write more episodes, given three months' paid leave, and ended up with Citizen Smith - a comedy starring Robert Lindsay as the young communist "Wolfie" Smith.

He once described Rodney from Only Fools and Horses as a "teeny bit me" because he was also a bit of a "naive dreamer" as a teenager.

And he said Del Boy was an amalgam of many characters he came across while working in the second-hand car trade in the 1970s.

He was appointed an OBE in 2005 for services to drama.
Article Source

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Damn, really good comedy writer :(
RIP John

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Nutter!!

Posted on

I carried out some work for him a few years back both at his house and in his 'Shazaam' offices in Reigate

Really nice and talented man. RIP John

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

RIP..John..One of the best in the comedy game.

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Changeable

Posted on

Their catchphrases and words have had a lasting impact on British culture, with several entering the language.

Here's a quick guide to 10 amongst his best-known.

Lovely Jubbly!

Del Boy's much-used - and copied - expression of delight was borrowed from an advertising slogan for an orange juice drink in the 1960s called Jubbly. Sullivan remembered it and pictured Del using it, so incorporated it into the show. It entered the new Oxford English Dictionary in 2003.

Rodney, you plonker!

Rodney in Only Fools and Horses Sullivan partly based Rodney on his own experiences, and says they were both dreamers

Del's way of calling his brother an idiot - one of several putdowns - had an endearing quality and was no less frequently used, owing to Rodney's naivety (albeit charming) and general gormlessness and lack of common sense.

Rodney himself was more likely to use words such as "cosmic" and "triffic", several years after they were hip expressions.

The financial director of Trotters Independent Traders, he is known affectionately as "Rodders".

This time next year, we'll be millionaires!

Another of Del's frequent sayings, it underpins the entire premise of Only Fools and Horses. Del's optimism endears him to his audience who, nevertheless, do not see much hope in the message as they watch Trotters Independent Traders deal mainly on the black market.

Among their cheap goods for sale were Russian Army camcorders, luminous yellow paint and sex dolls filled with explosive gas.

During the war...
Uncle Albert in Only Fools and Horses Uncle Albert's long-winded wartime anecdotes became one of the show's memorable running jokes

Uncle Albert: During the war...

Del Boy: [interrupts Albert] If you say during the war one more time, I'll pour this cup of tea over your head.

Uncle Albert: During the 1939-1945 conflict with Germany.

Uncle Albert's unprompted wartime reminiscences struck a chord with the families of certain sea-dogs of a certain generation.

The character won seven medals during his service in the Royal Navy, but mainly because he had an unfortunate time serving on seven ships that all sunk. He is the perfect foil to Rod and Del.

Alright Dave?
Trigger (Roger Lloyd Pack) from Only Fools and Horses Trigger was so named as he looked like a horse, according to Del

Trigger, the intellectually-challenged friend of the Trotters, genuinely believes Rodney is called Dave, but no-one has bothered to correct him, apart from an exasperated Rodney who once points out that it's not even a nickname, saying: "You're the only one who calls me Dave. Everybody else calls me Rodney, and the reason they call me Rodney is because Rodney is my name."

It is one of a number of running jokes favoured by Sullivan, along with Del's supposed affair with Marlene and the brothers' main mode of transport - a broken down Reliant van. In this example Trigger, who has a single qualification - in cycling proficiency - talks about the name of Del's baby:

Trigger: If it's a girl they're gonna name it Sigourney, after the actress. And if it's a boy they're gonna name him Rodney, after Dave.

Not goodbye, just bonjour

Del Boy is fluent in many languages, or so he thinks, and revels in demonstrating his varied - and garbled - foreign phrases.

From "mange tout" and "menage a trois" for "my pleasure" to "au contraire for "hang on a minute" and "au revoir" for "hello", he bumbles his way through with hilarious results. This quote is from a romantic moment in series three:

Del: No, no not goodbye Margaret, no just Bonjour.

Power To The People!
Robert Lindsay as "Wolfie" Smith in Citizen Smith Robert Lindsay played "Wolfie" Smith, a dreamer and petty thief with revolutionary aspirations

"Wolfie" Smith, the lead character in Sullivan's Citizen Smith, was an "urban guerrilla" living in Tooting, South London. This rallying cry appeared in the opening titles followed by a different resultant disaster in each episode.

Robert Lindsay played the leader of the revolutionary Tooting Popular Front, whose words were meant to inspire his fellow communists, but which in reality were only heard by his small group of misfit friends.
I've got battles to fight and rights to right

Another grand statement often repeated by Wolfie as he tried to emulate his hero Che Guevara, but his laziness and disorganisation meant he could never live up to his dreams.

He who dares Rodney, he who dares
David Jason as Del Boy Trotter Del's luck eventually changed when an antique watch found in his garage made him a millionaire

A Del Boy phrase that encapsulates his self confidence, ambition and optimism, but which invariably leads to egg on his face.

Del's lack of expertise to succeed in business and "lovable loser" qualities are partly the reason we empathise so closely with him.

Once Del Boy famously followed his "He who dares, wins!" with the further wisdom "He who hesitates... don't."

Don't you ever come near me again, Trotter!

Spoken by Del's long-suffering partner Raquel as she was giving birth, it's a reminder of the extended cast of Only Fools and Horses that are so crucial to its success.

Raquel was introduced to the show because Sullivan wanted more female characters, and he continued to add more characters generally as the show went from strength to strength.

And despite the show being traditionally built around its wisecracking male characters, Sullivan ensured that newcomers such as Cassandra and Raquel often had the better of the verbal repartee.

As Raquel once reassured a jealous Del: "Derek, will you get it into your thick skull: I'm not trying to meet intelligent and sensitive people, I'm happy with you."

ImageLife is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. Image

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

“Oh no....he's awake!!”’

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: Bored

Posted on

Aww what a lovely tribute H! Good on ya...

Forum Slapper Lush
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

You (Years ago ) only had to go down walthamstowe market and you would hear the *game* selling etc........this was years ago though when I was a kid.....(I have to say it was all *barra boys* ......Him selling down the market just brings back so many memories....

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Dolls wrote:Aww what a lovely tribute H! Good on ya...

BBC News Website Dolls, over 100 tributes paid to the Gent. :thumb:

ImageLife is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. Image

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

“Oh no....he's awake!!”’

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: Bored

Posted on

Awww So bloody sad.....a writer of his class......I wonder what *Dell Boy would say*......*Have a drink my friemd*

Aww(has to be a malibu) :rofl:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

John Sullivan phrases: 10 of the best

I never knew Robert Lindsay played "Wolfie" Smith, but when I see the picture It's obvious.

.. and then he went on to star in that truly awful, american'esque formula crap, MY Family

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Return to Comedy