Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Recommend a Biography/Autobiography

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I'm reading Stephen Fry's autobiography at the moment. Fabulous and interesting book and so well written (I can hear his voice in my head as I read it!)

Can any one suggest another biography worth reading? :)

Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Roy Jenkins, book on Churchill is worth reading.

I'm just travelling through.

Loves The place!

Posted on

Neil Warnock's is very good, as is Andy McNab's and Chris Ryan's, if you're into that sort of thing. Football manager John Gregory's was also very good, I recall.

I've only read a bit of each, but Jonathan Davies (former Wales International rugby player) and Martyn Williams (another Wales player) autobiographies are very good also. I'm just ordering Ronan O'Gara's (Munster and Ireland player) autobiography now. :thumb:

I liked Jeremy Beadle's autobiography as well as John Major's, whilst we're at it.

I've quite a few autobiographies to read that I'm yet to get round to. :o

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Thatcher - The Downing Street years

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:Thatcher - The Downing Street years

Actually, although I'm not and never was, a Thatcher supporter, I suspect that's a jolly good read - might give it a go!

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Nigel Slater's Toast is a very entertaining if frothy souffle read.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Ms Honey wrote:
martyn20 wrote:Thatcher - The Downing Street years

Actually, although I'm not and never was, a Thatcher supporter, I suspect that's a jolly good read - might give it a go!

The second book which was about her younger life is not quite as good but she personally signed mine so it's dear to me

Posted on

These days I get stuck in almost every book as I can't find the concentration, but I'm halfway down Clive James' autobiography and I've already cried tears of laughter...

I'm a big fan of (auto)biographies. Some time ago I had a sudden urge to read old Hollywood moviestar biographies like Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart etc... lovely... :)

'an angel has no memory'

Loves The place!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Socha wrote:
I'm a big fan of (auto)biographies. Some time ago I had a sudden urge to read old Hollywood moviestar biographies like Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart etc... lovely... :)

Hi Socha :wave:

Oh what a great idea! I bet they make fascinating reading.

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

this may seem an odd recommendation but George Formby - Troubled Genius by David Bret is a brilliant read.

Posted on

Jackie Chan- Who am I?

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

I love autobiographies - I tend to go to the library for them, then you'll find some you wouldn't normally read. Two of my faves have been Katie Puckrick, 'Shooting from the Lip' and Toyah willcox, 'Living out Loud'. Toyah was a virgin til her 21st birthday, and when a friend asked what she wanted for her b/day she asked him for a shag!

Ronnie Barker's was very funny, Boy George's was fascinating, Mommie Dearest about Joan Crawford was awful (she was bonkers) - I've been looking for a book about the Von Trapp family, but haven't been able to find one yet...... :hmmm:

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

Lemmy's autobiography was a great read. :thumb:

On a roll!

Posted on

No Chance wrote:Neil Warnock's is very good, as is Andy McNab's and Chris Ryan's, if you're into that sort of thing. Football manager John Gregory's was also very good, I recall.

I've only read a bit of each, but Jonathan Davies (former Wales International rugby player) and Martyn Williams (another Wales player) autobiographies are very good also. I'm just ordering Ronan O'Gara's (Munster and Ireland player) autobiography now. :thumb:

I liked Jeremy Beadle's autobiography as well as John Major's, whilst we're at it.

I've quite a few autobiographies to read that I'm yet to get round to. :o

I've seen some extracts from Neil Warnock's and it does seem good. I don't normally read biographies, but his does look good.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: recovering

Posted on

dannybutcher wrote:Lemmy's autobiography was a great read. :thumb:

I bet it was! I'll look out for it. I'd like to read Noddy Holder's too.

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

dannybutcher wrote:Lemmy's autobiography was a great read. :thumb:

..White Line Fever

"A Drink with Shaun Mcgowan" and Ginger Geezer (Viv Stanshall) are both good reads as well.

Best music biog for me would have to be Redemption Song (Joe Strummer).

Posted on

I personally prefer biographies as they are more objective about the subject .Autobiographies are highly subjective and misleading as it is nigh on impossible to be upfront without justifying one's unjustifiable behaviour or resist the urger to sensationalise.Before emails took over the world I loved the posthumous letters published between some famous author or person and whoever.... very revealing but nobody has the art of letter writing any more.Sadly.
The autobiog.section is so littered with politicians or semi celebrities I have not read one in years now.Darn celebs. do it in annual updates as well.How cynical and disingenuous.

On two rolls!!

Posted on

I am getting a biography of Thomas Jefferson for Xmas, find the founders of the USA so interesting, we did treat them very badly

Posted on

Gutlesswonder wrote:I personally prefer biographies as they are more objective about the subject .Autobiographies are highly subjective and misleading as it is nigh on impossible to be upfront without justifying one's unjustifiable behaviour or resist the urger to sensationalise.Before emails took over the world I loved the posthumous letters published between some famous author or person and whoever.... very revealing but nobody has the art of letter writing any more.Sadly.
The autobiog.section is so littered with politicians or semi celebrities I have not read one in years now.Darn celebs. do it in annual updates as well.How cynical and disingenuous.

They sure are - have you ever read Michael Jackson's?!

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!

Posted on

I love Biogs too - pretty much all I ever read these days!

I'm reading Keith Allens' at the moment, it's very entertaining. My favourite, and one that I've read over & over, is Frank Skinners, extremely funny and very interesting. Dale Wintons is also good. :oops:

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Tired but happy

Next

Return to Books