Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Shutter Island

Like a good read? You're not the only one! Talk about it here!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Have just finished the book, wow what a book! Bloody frightening as well. :eek4:

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Dolls wrote:Have just finished the book, wow what a book! Bloody frightening as well. :eek4:

Synopsis # what sort of book , any pictures :D

ImageLife is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. Image

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...

“Oh no....he's awake!!”’

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: Bored

Posted on

hurachai wrote:
Dolls wrote:Have just finished the book, wow what a book! Bloody frightening as well. :eek4:

Synopsis # what sort of book , any pictures :D

Its physchological really! Frightening but not in the ghosty ghouly way.

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

If it has Leonardo DiCaprio in it, it ain't frightening.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:If it has Leonardo DiCaprio in it, it ain't frightening.

To be honest Gunns I wasnt even aware about a film being made! Which I think is really good cos I couldnt see the characters ie actors playing the parts if you know what I mean. Luckily I'm not a film buff anymore, I used to be, every horror film that came out I'd got to the pics......my husband was well into SYFY etc (many moons ago now though) :chin:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Dolls wrote:
Gunner 51 wrote:If it has Leonardo DiCaprio in it, it ain't frightening.

To be honest Gunns I wasnt even aware about a film being made! Which I think is really good cos I couldnt see the characters ie actors playing the parts if you know what I mean. Luckily I'm not a film buff anymore, I used to be, every horror film that came out I'd got to the pics......my husband was well into SYFY etc (many moons ago now though) :chin:

Like you, I'm not the film buff I used to be. Though I'm too anti-social to go to the pictures to see them, so I used to rent them instead. (I miss the days when I could just pick up a trashy horror DVD and bring it back on the next day without the need for buses.)

Though these days, I seem to be big on Sci-fi, too. Though I'd never call it Syfi - it looks too much like Sifee to me. :howl:

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Posted on

Synopsis

Shutter Island is something of a departure for Dennis Lehane. It is not like the private eye novels with which he made his name and it is not especially like Mystic River, his distinguished crime novel about murder, loyalty and revenge. Instead, he gives us a classic of psychological suspense--US Marshal Teddy is summoned to a remote hospital for the criminally insane to look for a missing patient and finds his own future and sanity on the line. It is the 1950s and experiments with drugs, conditioning and brain surgery are all the rage both in the psychiatric profession and in the shadow world of government agencies.
Teddy rapidly becomes aware that no-one he is talking to is remotely telling him the truth and that he cannot be wholly sure even of his charming new partner. As the island hospital is isolated by a hurricane, we find ourselves unable to trust a single thing that the narrative tells us--Lehane displays a gift for sleight of hand which is showily disorienting. At the same time, this is not just a box of tricks. We find ourselves caring deeply for Teddy and his partner Chuck, whatever is going on and whoever they really are.

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Sounds like a thumping good read, Dolls. Perhaps I'll go rent the film at some point.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Books