Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Anyone into camping holidays?

Fashion, Travel, Hobbies, Pursuits, Fetishes, etc, etc

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Hi All :wave:

I'm just wondering if anyone else here thin's i'm mad or if they enjoy camping in all weathers? We have 2 kids, no transport and people wonder how we manage. It's hard work at times but great!

We did have a tourer on a couple of seasonal pitches but gave it up due to work so back to a tent!

Does anyone else prefer camping / caravanning / travelling light rather than hotels?



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Hi :wave:

I've camped once or twice - in the car - ( we've managed to sleep six in it, very uncomfortably) - we take a small tent too.

I do love the outdoor life, but to be honest campsites kind of do nothing for me - I much prefer camping wild, but havent ever done that with kids, so the last time I did that was a long time ago.

I do fancy the idea of a trailer tent and often look them up on ebay,( actually OH tried to win a gypsy caravan last month)

Having said though, that managed campsites arent my thing, its actually my dream lifestyle to own and run one - kind of Pippa in Summer Bay ( Home and Away) style, and have loads of kids and dogs and chickens and a shetland pony - oh, and some holiday makers!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I believe there are more than a few members here who are expert campers.

You can see some of them in action here;


Seriously, I'm not into camping, but I must take my kid sometime.
See if I can remember the stuff from my days in the Boy Scouts. :D

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

this is the last campsite I was at - last summer

Image

it was kind of basic - but beautiful, on Mull, overlooking Iona.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Never camped here, ( there is a campsite) - beautiful place.

Image

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Whirliegig wrote:Hi :wave:

I've camped once or twice - in the car - ( we've managed to sleep six in it, very uncomfortably) - we take a small tent too.

I do love the outdoor life, but to be honest campsites kind of do nothing for me - I much prefer camping wild, but havent ever done that with kids, so the last time I did that was a long time ago.

I do fancy the idea of a trailer tent and often look them up on ebay,( actually OH tried to win a gypsy caravan last month)

Having said though, that managed campsites arent my thing, its actually my dream lifestyle to own and run one - kind of Pippa in Summer Bay ( Home and Away) style, and have loads of kids and dogs and chickens and a shetland pony - oh, and some holiday makers!


Same here, i'd camp wild no problem but we just manage easier on a site with the kids. I miss my caravan though but it was sitting on a seasonal pitch empty a lot of the time with us working.

A Gypsy caravan would be brilliant! I used to be into Tarot cards, star signs and stuff plus i've moved house alot and my man still calls me 'Gypsy Rose'!

I'd like to run my own site too and ideally live on it in a big static caravan! Some people thin i'm mad but i'd sell my house tomorrow and live in a static caravan! :oops:

Maybe if we win the lottery! :howl:



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

yeah - its a bit whacky really :) - win the lottery and buy a static caravan - or your own campsite. :yippee:

hmm...the pic from Fidden on Mull has disappeared. I shall try and find another one.

Where are your favourite places to go?

Big Sands up at Gairloch is good too ( well anywhere up there is fab to be honest)

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I have camped and many think i am camp, quite a few times. I have done the tens and camper van and both have there pro's and con's, i have also been to quite a few country's camping. I understand why loads of people hate it, but for me its getting back in touch with nature, yes i am a big hippy.
ImageImage

One place that will always stick in my mind is the Isle of Lewis, so few people but wonderful scenery. If i remember correctly only something like 20 people on the island and very limited facilities but breathtaking. Really would love the chance to go back. Scotland really does have scenery to leave you lost for words, picture do not do some of it justice.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Fidden, Mull
you just pitch up anywhere on the machair behind the dunes ( there's about a mile of space) - and its beautiful ( there's a portaloo at the farmhouse)

Image

Image




another great one at Achmelvich

Image



and the chalets at Mellon Udrigle I actually enquired about buying once. I was told they were for sale in the pub, phoned the owner ( who lived in Jersey) who said that actually they werent for sale, but then named a price and said I could have them - at the time, it was a huge amount of money - looking back now, I bloomin wish we'd done it.

Image

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I first stayed in my Uncle's static caravan he had in Whitley Bay. I really love it there but haven't been for over 8 years :( Need to sort that!

The last few years though we've been to Aberfoyle alot in the Trossachs. At first we stayed on the bigger site which was dearer then we found a much smaller more basic and much cheaper site about a mile down the road so when we had our tourer it was sited there for a few seasons. Love it there too.

We then moved it nearer us in St Monans, Fife as the site in Aberfoyle was taken over, fees went through the roof yet they done nothing with the site.

The first year we didn't go to Aberfoyle was last year and we all missed it! We were in Stirling at a site in the Ochill Hills in the May bank holiday weekend which was good and we're going to Aberfoyle again in 2 weeks as we missed it! It's still the same wardens, only difference is we'll be in a tent instead of the caravan which doesn't bother me now that the kids are up a bit.

Your pics look stunning, I've not really ventured outside Scotland with the tent due to the kids but as I said, now they're up a bit and if the journey's are well planned hopefully we'll tour a bit more :) :thumb:



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

We used a 5/6 man tent last time and it was easy to build but i've cheated and bought a 4 man pop up tent :oops: Just with us not having transport if we get anywhere and the weather's bad it's easy to put up so we can get in and tie it down after.



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

staroffurby wrote:I have camped and many think i am camp, quite a few times. I have done the tens and camper van and both have there pro's and con's, i have also been to quite a few country's camping. I understand why loads of people hate it, but for me its getting back in touch with nature, yes i am a big hippy.
ImageImage

One place that will always stick in my mind is the Isle of Lewis, so few people but wonderful scenery. If i remember correctly only something like 20 people on the island and very limited facilities but breathtaking. Really would love the chance to go back. Scotland really does have scenery to leave you lost for words, picture do not do some of it justice.


It's true, i'm a member of the camping and caravanning club and just responded to a letter from someone in the magazine saying that non camping friends and family can't understand why even if the weather's bad they will still camp or they get accused of being secrative as they just go away spur of the moment which I get too.

That's what camping's all about and if people think we're hippies then they're just jealous and haven't lived :finger:



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

mecheller38 wrote:That's what camping's all about and if people think we're hippies then they're just jealous and haven't lived :finger:


:D

If someone wants to call me a hippy I'd take it as a huge compliment!

( thats another pic of Fidden disappeared. They seem to be on a timed combustion.)

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Same here! I've been called worse than a hippy in my time!! :rofl: I seen the pic before it went missing, looks really nice. I'll need to dig out mine. Some are on the laptop and some are on cd's or you can go to my bebo page at http://www.bebo.com/mecheller38 :thumb: There's some holiday pics on there :)



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ohhh...just going to have a look at your pics. back in a mo!

ETA - what a happy family you look - and what a tidy tent! :eek4: ( we look like a travelling junkyard!)

and hey, a pop up tents not cheating , its about making it work for you! ( we definitely cheat though, we use the car! Its not really camping at all)

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Whirliegig wrote:ohhh...just going to have a look at your pics. back in a mo!

ETA - what a happy family you look - and what a tidy tent! :eek4: ( we look like a travelling junkyard!)

and hey, a pop up tents not cheating , its about making it work for you! ( we definitely cheat though, we use the car! Its not really camping at all)


Trust me we look like a mobile junkyard too at times!! :D I try to just take minimum stuff though. The journey home's always easier as we've usually used all the gas, food etc and sometimes use the disposable bbq's.

A car's not cheating. If I drove i'd take the car, only for transporting us and all our gear as I like us to be up, out and about :yippee:

Going Away in 2 weeks again, just to Aberfoyle again :yippee: :hello:



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Well we'll be off camping to sunny Aberfoyle again in a couple of days :thumb: It's done nothing but rain here off and on for weeks and non stop over the weekend :mad1: As long as we can at least get the tent up dry then it can rain all it wants :roll:



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

its been really hot here today - but then it will suddenly cloud over and be thunderously black....off and on all day.

have a great holiday!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

User avatar
MILF
Posts: 11299
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:01 pm
Location: Always Argyll

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

:thumb: Thanks, it's been lie that for a few weeks here now too. Really warm and sunny then big sudden showers and the sky goes black :eek:

Not to worry, Long as i'm away from work that's the main thing :hello:



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Raffles wrote:I believe there are more than a few members here who are expert campers.

You can see some of them in action here;


Seriously, I'm not into camping, but I must take my kid sometime.
See if I can remember the stuff from my days in the Boy Scouts. :D
:D :D :rofl: :howl:

You should go sometime :thumb:



Trailer Trash
Posts: 9305
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Next

Return to Lifestyle

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron