Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

BT Price Increases

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

BT bumping up their prices again. The good news is that as per their T&Cs you can jump ship even if you're still in contract within 30 days of them notifying you of the increases. I wouldn't necessary do that, but will be worth ringing them for a deal. I'm already on a deal for unlimited infinity 1 at £11/month, so not sure how this will affect me? Any increases though and I'll be ringing up and if necessary moving.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7406 ... etail.html

Where BT Retail goes others usually follow so for those looking to escape the latest round of retail price rises from BT Retail you need to pick carefully or just accept that you will be exercising your right to exact a contract early due to a price rise several times a year.

The majority of the latest round of price rises take effect on 3rd July 2016 and the list of key changes is:

Line rental going up to £18.99/month from £17.99/month
Line rental saver rises to £205.08 (equivalent of £17.09/month
Call set up fee rises to 19p
Weekday calls will be 11p/minute
BT Kids, Kids Extra and Music rising to £4/month
Standard price for Unlimited ADSL2+ will be £20/month
Standard price for Unlimited Infinity 1 will be £26/month
Standard price for Unlimited Infinity 2 will be £32.50/month
Standard price for Unlimited Infinity 3 will be £45/month
Standard price for Unlimited Infinity 4 will be £52/month
BT Total Entertainment will be £16/month

They're trying to sweeten the pill a bit with a few extras........

There are some other changes on the way and these changes for some people may just be enough to offset the price rises. Existing Infinity 1 customers should see their package upgraded to the up to 52 Mbps download service as provided to new customers, though only those hitting the artificial up to 38 Mbps limit now will benefit. BT Cloud storage is increasing existing 5GB users should get a new 50GB allowance and those with the old 50GB (e.g. Infinity 2 users) will see a jump to 500GB, the unlimited Infinity 1 package is being listed as having a 100GB online storage option now. For those on the entry level usage capped broadband packages there is also changes, 10GB monthly allowances will rise to 12GB, 20GB to 25GB and 40GB to 45GB. Also customers will be able to get BT NetProtect for free. Finally perhaps in response to the constant moans about broadband and phone repair times, BT Retail is opting for a higher level of service from its suppliers in other parts of the BT Group, which should mean if a fault needs an engineer attending they should be sent 24 hours quicker than previously - oddly one of the BT Retail competitors reduced the care level it has on its services recently.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

infinity 3 and 4? never knew they existed

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:infinity 3 and 4? never knew they existed

Yes, they are for fibre to the premises connections and only about 1% of the population is covered. If you are one of the lucky ones you could get a 300Mb down/30Mb up connection.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Well I got an email from BT about the price rises. It included an offer of BT Infinity 1 Unlimited for £10/month if I re-contracted for 12 months. The line rental has gone up by £1, my broadband has fallen by about £2 so all in all I'm actually paying £1 less. Can't complain at that :thumb:

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:

Yes, they are for fibre to the premises connections and only about 1% of the population is covered. If you are one of the lucky ones you could get a 300Mb down/30Mb up connection.

I dunno why they limit the UP to 30MB. I suppose much more is downloaded than uploaded in domestic installations and it's a more efficient allocation of bandwidth. but why not have it dynamic?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Resonance wrote:

I dunno why they limit the UP to 30MB. I suppose much more is downloaded than uploaded in domestic installations and it's a more efficient allocation of bandwidth. but why not have it dynamic?

They probably want to keep high upload speeds for leased lines and the like. A 300/300Mb leased line would be £hundreds if not £thousands a month.

Also maybe another reason is people seeding Bittorent? A few heavy users could eat up a lot of bandwidth if they're good types who seed more than they leech? I know Virgin media did (do?) lower people's upload speed if they upload over a certain amount of data in a short period.

ETA: Seems they still do https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-mana ... holds.html

Complete Nutter!!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs