Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Sky Internet Filters

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Sky's internet filters are going to default to the 'PG' setting if you don't make an active decision to switch them off/set them to another level. So if you don't want filtered internet and are with Sky log into you account and switch them off

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/ ... ail-alerts

We’re all aware that cyberspace can present security risks, and that the internet isn’t universally suitable for children. Just last week Ofcom released a study that found parents’ awareness of potential online risks has risen since the first report in 2013. And at Sky, when it comes to online safety for all, we take our responsibility very seriously and we want what is best for our customers.

With that in mind, we’ve come up with a user and family-friendly approach to online safety that we’re starting to communicate to customers this week. We want to ensure no one misses the opportunity to benefit from better protection online.

We already offer award-winning Sky Broadband Shield to give Sky customers control of their household’s internet experience, as well as protecting against malware-infected or phishing sites. Its Watershed feature gives adjustable settings with age rating options (PG, 13, 18, Custom or none) for different times of the day. Customers can easily choose and change their settings in MySky depending on the level of protection they need for their home.

What we’re doing now is simply making sure that the automatic position of Sky Broadband Shield is the safest one for all – that’s ‘on’, unless customers choose otherwise.

From January, we’ll be emailing our customers who haven’t chosen to activate or disable Sky Broadband Shield explaining its benefits and giving them the opportunity to make a decision one way or the other. Customers can activate Sky Broadband Shield, adjust or decline it at any time. Or they can simply wait for us to turn it on.

So how will it work? When trying to visit a website deemed unsuitable for children under the age of 13 during the day, customers will see a page reminding them to make a choice about filtering. At this point, they can accept the current setting, change their protection levels or simply turn Sky Broadband Shield off.

Once Sky Broadband Shield is active, users cannot access a filtered site unless they choose to log in and alter their settings. However they can browse away from the filtering page to visit freely any site suitable for the 13 age rating, without any interruptions.

Sky’s approach helps make it as easy as possible for customers to protect their households. We are encouraging them to use the flexibility within Sky Broadband Shield in order to make the right choice for their personal circumstances. And Sky Broadband Shield doesn’t give us access to what you do online so your privacy will be protected.

Of course, with our diverse base of over 5.3 million broadband customers, we know some won’t want or need Sky Broadband Shield. That’s OK too. They can let us know their preference by going to http://broadbandshield.sky.com/choice or simply decline, in which case we won’t be sending them any emails. It’s better for people to make their own choice, but until they do, we believe this process to be the safest one. Meanwhile we can ensure that they’re protected from phishing, malware and sites unsuitable for young children.

We’re happy to act in the interest of customer security and online safety. Knowing our customers and the internet as we do, we believe this is the right and simplest solution to a problem we all know is out there.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I had an email from BT asking recently if I wanted some kind of family prude filtering. Soon told that to fuck off

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I had an email from BT asking recently if I wanted some kind of family prude filtering. Soon told that to fuck off

Yeah, when I logged in to my BT account a fair while back they asked if I wanted them. I of course answered NO!

The other problem with these filters is they block everything if you change DNS server. Problem is there are various bits of hardware that use different to your default. I've got a Chromecast for example, which uses Google's DNS and can't be changed. So if people want the filters on there's a chance they'll be bricking some of their hardware.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

the blocking of the Pirate Bay went well though didn't it?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:the blocking of the Pirate Bay went well though didn't it?

Most probably don't know how to get around it though.
I cant be doing with all of those crap sites now though. I use a private one. Much better. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:

I cant be doing with all of those crap sites now though. I use a private one. Much better. :)

Not sure about that Stan. If you Googled Pirate Bay the first thing that came up was a list of proxy's to bypass filters. So it was basically two clicks to get to the Pirate Bay instead of one.

Which private site do you use Stan? Can you PM me a link if you don't mind? Or is it invite only?

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

I somehow doubt Sky will now extend their 'filtering' to TV delivery in filtering out the crap.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:

Not sure about that Stan. If you Googled Pirate Bay the first thing that came up was a list of proxy's to bypass filters. So it was basically two clicks to get to the Pirate Bay instead of one.

Which private site do you use Stan? Can you PM me a link if you don't mind? Or is it invite only?

I've used the proxies for PB and KAT and some may work but they usually dont for me. I've used come.in website and the link to click to download doesn't appear, I have to press F5 repeatedly to see the "download" link, if it appears at all. I have used the add on you told me about, hide my ass, I just put the url of what I want in that and mostly there wouldn't be a problem. :)

I'll pm you the link in a mo for the site I use.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:
Resonance wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:

I've used the proxies for PB and KAT and some may work but they usually dont for me. I've used come.in website and the link to click to download doesn't appear, I have to press F5 repeatedly to see the "download" link, if it appears at all. I have used the add on you told me about, hide my ass, I just put the url of what I want in that and mostly there wouldn't be a problem. :)

This was easy to find by google :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:
Resonance wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:

Yes but the magnet link doesn't appear on my page meaning I cant download.

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Stanley Tweedle wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:
Resonance wrote:
Stanley Tweedle wrote:

Yes but the magnet link doesn't appear on my page meaning I cant download.

magnet links appear on this one here

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Thanks smeggy :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Thanks to Stanley and Hide My Ass I have just watched The Imitation Game. An excellent Film and one I haven't been able to see thus far. So thanks a lot! :thumb:

Fine Barman!

Posted on

chinchin wrote:Thanks to Stanley and Hide My Ass I have just watched The Imitation Game. An excellent Film and one I haven't been able to see thus far. So thanks a lot! :thumb:

Me? Cool. Though it was Res that told me of hide my ass. I also have to acknowledge Phil for telling me about Ghostery, the anti tracking add on. Something I couldn't live without, well I could but I would be less happy surfing the web. :)

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

Thanks to Reso also then!! :oops: :thumb:

Fine Barman!

Posted on

chinchin wrote:Thanks to Reso also then!! :oops: :thumb:

Hehe, no probs Chins :)

Complete Nutter!!

Share this Topic on Facebook: