Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Anyone still use Teletext?

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Anyone still use Teletext?

I can remember the time when it was exciting!!! :eek:

Teletext switches off early around the UK

Teletext
The Teletext information service has been switched off today on UK analogue and digital television, earlier than the initially scheduled January 2010 closure.

The news and information platform has ceased running on ITV, Channel 4 and Five on analogue TV, along with ITV and Channel 4 on Sky and Freeview. All editorial services on Teletext Extra are also no longer available on Freeview and Freesat.

However, Teletext Holidays will continue to run on Freeview channel 101 and the commercial channels from 102 to 107 will also remain on digital terrestrial television.

Analogue Channel 4 will still carry the Teletext Racing and Bookmakers section so that viewers can access the latest racing news and results. Channel 4 viewers on Sky and Freesat will be able to access an analogue form of the service "in due course".

In June, Teletext owner the Daily Mail and General Trust confirmed plans to close the editorial service, which had continually made a loss over the years.

The move was initially due to go ahead in January 2010 but was moved forward to "allow the process to be as smooth as possible on all platforms, technically and operationally".

Teletext's profitable travel websites - teletextholidays.co.uk, thisistravel.co.uk, inluxury.co.uk and villarenters.co.uk - will continue to operate, along with the teletext.co.uk/gamecentral service.

Anyone who subscribed to SMS alerts from Teletext will continue to receive the messages "beyond December", and analogue subtitles on page 888 will also remain available.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I read about Teletext closing down a few weeks ago, they said back then that the service was losing money and not worth kept running in the long run, its been killed off really by thousands of On-line News and Digital Services in the last few years.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Posted on

Welsh_Guy wrote:I read about Teletext closing down a few weeks ago, they said back then that the service was losing money and not worth kept running in the long run, its been killed off really by thousands of On-line News and Digital Services in the last few years.

Compared to the Internet it's pretty much embarrassing. Should have been shut down years ago IMO. Pointless these days

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Welsh_Guy wrote:I read about Teletext closing down a few weeks ago, they said back then that the service was losing money and not worth kept running in the long run, its been killed off really by thousands of On-line News and Digital Services in the last few years.

Compared to the Internet it's pretty much embarrassing. Should have been shut down years ago IMO. Pointless these days

Is it still using the BBC Micro computer graphics, and still running as slow as a three legged pig? I can't check, I don't have a telly

Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: Electric!

Posted on

Teletext was the closest thing to the internet I had back in the day. :) But sadly, I won't be missing it seeing that it's archaic and outdated.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

Hey that's true Smeggy even the Digital Version of the Service was slow and sluggish on Sky and Freeview a lot of the time the Internet provides a better for Information.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Posted on

I'm assuming from the lack of response to my questions, it is!

Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: Electric!

Posted on

I find it very useful at breakfast, just put a page on and I can boil an egg to perfection using the clock in the top right corner.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:I'm assuming from the lack of response to my questions, it is!

The last time I looked it was the same as it had been for the last thirty years.

Twenty years ago I used to check it every hour at work if I was bored or something was going on in the world. Check my share prices - those screens took a long time to roll round if you missed something.

Excellent idea at the time. Indeed for some people without access to computers it probably still would be.

I used to have a device which could capture teletext data and transfer it to my Spectrum. Thought about using it to get horse racing results and put them in database, but didn't bother. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

How funny. I hadn't used Teletext for years, but then yesterday evening while slobbed out on the couch in me jim jams and slippers I tried to call it up just to look at the weather.

Thought it was playing up even more than it used to when I couldn't get the menu up.

:stomp: :pp:

Really Hooked!
Current Mood: Whoop whoop!

Posted on

I lost Ceefax when we went digital 2 years ago, but the BBC interactive service is so much better and the graphics don't look like something out of Pacman. Must admit Ceefax and The Oracle were very good in their day.

Really Loves the Place!

Return to Media Providers and ISPs