Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

£6 tax on phone landline, ISPs to police illegal filesharing

Terrestrial [Analogue and Freeview] TV, SKY, Cable, ISPs and any other method of supplying your media!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I hate this government with a passion :mad1:

On the landline tax, 50p a month doesn't sound a lot, but the whimsical oracle predicts it won't stop there :rolleyes:

I expect increasingly people will ditch landlines, as mobile broadband gets better and cheaper. You don't really need a landline these days. But it will punish those such as the elderly who rely on having a phone as a social lifeline, and may not have much interest in having internet.

But be prepared for an internet equivalent of the tv licence to follow eventually, no doubt. :mad1:

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

As for the filesharing thing, it's an inevitable consequence of the recent law to allow the government to snoop on all your online activity. Which was introduced to fight terrorism, was the justification I think it was... :rolleyes:

Super Smegster

Posted on

But be prepared for an internet equivalent of the tv licence to follow eventually, no doubt

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

well this £6 tax on landlines is, effectively, a tax on internet access, i suppose.

i know mobile broadband is available but it is not yet a serious alternative to fixed line broadband for most people in terms of usage and price.

and it will go up in leaps and bounds - look what they did with air passenger tax.

Super Smegster

Posted on

A very poorly thought out plan. I don't think it will get implemented in the way they suggest unless there are even more idiots in parliament than I think there are.

The £6 PA tax is neither here nor there in the scheme of things. Extending fibre network to most households will cost many billions.

I recall when I first got broadband - it cost nearly £40 per month for 512kb. I can now get upto 8MB for £5.99 (with 10 meg cap) due to the area I am in. Will soon be 24MB - over existing copper wire. Maybe they should just legislate to get service improved - with broadband customers paying. Technology will improve rate anyway.

Some idiot was saying that people need 2MB min to get government services and online access to important sites - no they fugging well don't. You can still access almost everything over dial-up! Maybe for instant hi-def TV they need more - but that's something else - country bumpkins can download now and watch later.

Scrapping the FM bandwidth is one of the most costly things - DAB coverage is acceptable in about 70% of country with 90% planned, even then they won't get all of the stations -

http://www.uk-dab.info/coverage.php

- what about the 10% still left without? Even getting to 90% will take time and cost a fortune.

My verdict - 1/10 - rewrite plan when sober. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Didn't our present government sell off the 'redundant' frequencies for the purpose of improving the needs of the public a few years back ?

Or am I dreaming

(Silly me, maybe it was the gold reserves, or the company pensions.)

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
Current Mood: unknown

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Media Providers and ISPs