Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Facebook's new Camera app mirrors Instagram

Got any cool links? Or even links to avoid? Let us know.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Facebook's new Camera app mirrors Instagram

Well it bought Instagram so I guess it can do this :) - Anyone use instragram?

Facebook has launched a photo sharing smartphone app called Camera.

The software allows users to take multiple pictures and share them at once rather than having to upload them one at a time.

The app also features a feed of friends' photos.

The launch is unexpected as the program offers users similar tools to Instagram which the social network is in the process of taking over.

Both apps allow users to add filters and make other tweaks to photographs.

Facebook has agreed to pay $1bn (£638m) for Instagram, but the acquisition has not been completed.

Brian Blau, research director at the technology analysts Gartner, said the move may surprise some, but thought it made sense.

"Facebook has to move its business forward," he told the BBC.

"It said earlier that it would keep Instagram as a separate business, but you need to bear in mind that it is buying a unique social network with a specific demographic.

"By doing this Facebook allows Instagram to remain intact while adopting some of its features to ensure its core service maintains its lead as the internet's most used photo sharing site."

At present Camera only works on Apple's smartphones and tablets.

A news release from Facebook did not mention when it might be released for Android or other systems. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18198448

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Not used Instagram.

If I want to share photos from my phone I use my Picasa account and the Picasa Tool app.

Simple and works well. When you want to share, the app just generates a link that can be emailed to people who you want to share the pic or album with, rather than making it completely public.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Adobe Lightroom, which I use to edit pics has a feature to export straight to Facebook, Flickr and a couple of other sites. There was a plugin for it which allowed FTP export but it wont' work with LR4 now :(

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Return to Cool Websites