Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

PlayStation Network Hacked.......Beware!

Shoot em up? Adventures? Here we go!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/n ... -week.html

The PlayStation Network and Qriocity music streaming service have been shut down since 20 April, when the breach was detected. Hackers stole personal details belonging to 77 million users including names, addresses, email addresses, birth dates and passwords.

Sony also admitted today that the stolen personal data was not encrypted, as security experts have suspected since it first disclosed details of the breach on Tuesday.

http://www.product-reviews.net/2011/04/ ... ew-claims/

A security expert with TrendMicro, Kevin Stevens, claims to have seen talk on online forums where hackers were trying to sell credit card information for 2.2 million PSN users. Also internet security blogger Brian Krebs has posted screenshots of the discussions.

There are now reports surfacing of some users claiming of fraudulent charges to their credit cards. One user had seen his card used to buy $1,500 of goods in Germany. A reader of gaming site VGN365 said his bank contacted him about a $300 debit card transaction.

Only found out about this today. I've cancelled my credit card that I had registered with PSN to be on the safe side. Also if you have the same log in details as the Playstation Network with other companies it's advisable to change them.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Theres no need to worry or to cancel you card etc, Weve had a lot of calls about this and the advice is to keep an eye on your account but Playstation have no evidence that card or accoutn details have been compromised.

Sweetheart

Posted on

Part of Sony's official statement

While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

Plus people on various forums are complaining about fraudulent transactions following the hack. It's also being reported that card numbers from the PSN are being offered for sale.

Not worth the risk imo.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Its all hype, honestly, The statement we got at work is to adv people to be viligalnt plus you are covered if theres any fraud on the account anyway.

Sweetheart

Posted on

Little_Law_Chick wrote:Its all hype, honestly, The statement we got at work is to adv people to be viligalnt plus you are covered if theres any fraud on the account anyway.

Well too late now I've cancelled it.

Quick question LLC. If I'm covered for fraud on the account what is the point of the insurance often offered with cards that covers fraud? Not that I have any, just wondering.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
Little_Law_Chick wrote:Its all hype, honestly, The statement we got at work is to adv people to be viligalnt plus you are covered if theres any fraud on the account anyway.

Well too late now I've cancelled it.

Quick question LLC. If I'm covered for fraud on the account what is the point of the insurance often offered with cards that covers fraud? Not that I have any, just wondering.

Insurance is more for if your oversees and card is stolen etc, plus its only fraud your covered for so if you sign yourself up for a company and gave them your details and its a scam you wont be covered with your bank account but may be with your credit card, thats why if your ever doing anything online my advice is to use a credit card at all times.

Sweetheart

Posted on

Cheers LLC.

Yes, I already use a credit card online as I know it offers more protection.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Bit more info on this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming ... tml?hpt=T2

In addition to usernames, e-mail addresses and passwords, the hacker or hackers who cracked into Sony's PlayStation network also may have nabbed credit card numbers.

Sony says there's no reason to believe credit card numbers of the network's 77 million users have been stolen, but security researchers tell the New York Times' Bits Blog otherwise.

"Sony is saying the credit cards were encrypted, but we are hearing that the hackers made it into the main database, which would have given them access to everything, including credit card numbers," Mathew Solnik, a security consultant with iSEC Partners, told the Times' Nick Bilton.

Bilton quotes three security researchers who say they've seen talk about the stolen credit card numbers in dark corners of the Internet.

They say as many as 2.2 million credit card numbers may have been stolen as part of the attack. One researcher says the hackers appear to be trying to sell some of the credit card information for more than $100,000.

Glad I cancelled my card now. Just not worth the risk imo.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Bit more info on this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming ... tml?hpt=T2

In addition to usernames, e-mail addresses and passwords, the hacker or hackers who cracked into Sony's PlayStation network also may have nabbed credit card numbers.

Sony says there's no reason to believe credit card numbers of the network's 77 million users have been stolen, but security researchers tell the New York Times' Bits Blog otherwise.

"Sony is saying the credit cards were encrypted, but we are hearing that the hackers made it into the main database, which would have given them access to everything, including credit card numbers," Mathew Solnik, a security consultant with iSEC Partners, told the Times' Nick Bilton.

Bilton quotes three security researchers who say they've seen talk about the stolen credit card numbers in dark corners of the Internet.

They say as many as 2.2 million credit card numbers may have been stolen as part of the attack. One researcher says the hackers appear to be trying to sell some of the credit card information for more than $100,000.

Glad I cancelled my card now. Just not worth the risk imo.

I bet the Mario Brothers and Alex the Kidd were behind that hacking heist. After all, Alex was in the 'Underworld' .
:hyenas:

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Changeable

Posted on

Lol :rofl:

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

I'd bet it was someone from Anonymous.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

Wouldn't surprise me Guns

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

But then again, I wouldn't be shocked if it was some other opportunist either.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Posted on

Anonymous have actually denied it, whatever that means?????

Lie.....truth.....lie....truth :hmmm:

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

I guess that's the funny thing, Res. Neither one of us are hackers (I hope!), so we'll just have to go with whatever Sony or the courts say.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Posted on

this is interesting , well i thought so anyway :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13256817

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Woah, that's a loooot of cheesed off gamers, Wots. It's only going to be a matter of time before the culprit/s are found - this has attracted too much attention for it to go unpunished.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Gaming