Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Liam Fox calls for Medal of Honor ban

Shoot em up? Adventures? Here we go!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Liam Fox calls for Medal of Honor ban

What, and children haven't lost fathers and wives haven't lost husbands at the hands of the Western Militia? Fucking idiot. American Drones are in Pakistan right now killing civilians left right and centre, guided by grunts holding nothing more than an X-box controller thousands of miles away.

Liam Fox - Fucking Idiot!!
The defence secretary, Liam Fox, has launched a stinging attack on the forthcoming first-person shooter Medal of Honor, requesting that retailers refuse to stock the game. EA's relaunch of its hugely successful series is set amid the war in Afghanistan and the single-player campaign follows US troops as they seek to defeat the Taliban. However, the multiplayer online mode allows players to take part as terrorist operatives, gaining points for killing allied soldiers, and this is the element that Fox objects to.

The Press Association quotes Fox suggesting that the game should be subject to a retail ban: "It's shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban. At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands. I am disgusted and angry. It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."
Meanwhile, the news site al-Jazeera has a video report on the story, showing some in-game footage of a Taliban soldier using a mobile phone to set off a remote explosive device.

EA has reportedly responded to Fox via the Sunday Times with the following: "The format of the new Medal of Honor game merely reflects the fact that every conflict has two sides. We give gamers the opportunity to play both sides. Most of us have been doing this since we were seven: someone plays the cop, someone must be robber. In Medal of Honor multiplayer, someone's got to be the Taliban."

Of course, this was always going to happen. Video games based around current conflicts have often provoked controversy in the past, with opponents suggesting they exploit the suffering of real-life soldiers and civilians. The Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series has always avoided similar accusations by using fictional settings – even though the titles clearly employ contemporary Middle Eastern environments and protagonists.

It's not clear, however, if Fox is aware of the distinction between a narrative-led single-player campaign and a "deathmatch"-style multiplayer mode in which players are able to take on both enemy and allied roles in essentially context-free shootouts. It could be that this distinction is irrelevant to him.

Whatever the intricacies of this particular case, it once again opens the debate about whether it is acceptable for video games to portray and explore current conflicts and other news issues. While it is generally accepted that linear media such as books, films and TV series' are "allowed" to use contemporary warzones as settings, games tend to be viewed differently – mostly because of their interactive nature, and the belief that "game" content trivialises serious subject matter.

It is extremely unlikely, however, that retailers will follow Fox's suggestion. The game, due out on October 15, has already received BBFC and PEGI certification and has secured an 18+ rating. It will be a key title in the Christmas line-up, alongside the rival shooter Call of Duty: Black Ops.Article Source

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

It`s just headline chasing for the upcomming conference and to distract the media from the leaked letter.

On three rolls!!

Posted on

might encourage kids to join the army :D

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

'In Medal of Honor multiplayer, someone's got to be the Taliban'

I'm surprised there isn't a character generator in the software to create anyone they like, for example a Guantanamo inmate, complete with crocodile clips and battery, a US grunt in charge of a drone and a bag of doughnuts, a squaddies driving a landrover in IED country, or maybe a British PM, giving out false information about WMDs.

Maybe they could create a hybrid game with this , just so the hilarity of the situation exceeds that of the potential shock to all victims of the US led invasion.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Someone always has to be the baddie. Cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, wicked witches and princesses would have been boring for us if no one was the baddie.

:hmmm:

And I'll make it all worthwhile,

I'll make your heart smile

;)

On a roll!
Current Mood: Wistful

Posted on

Ah, I've seen this debated on The Escapist (gaming) forums. This is a fairly old bit of news now.

But Liam Fox is clearly trying to score some cheapo political points from the "Family Values" type voter. The kind of fool who thinks that violent games make violent people. All it does is make Mr Fox look like an out of touch, condescending toss-pot who lives in an ivory tower.

But in essence, most people and even children can tell real life from a computer game - especially when it has a 15 or 18 certificate slapped upon it like any other film. But what Mr Fox also should take on board is how no events from the game can compare to real life - seeing how the game is not actually real. Furthermore, anyone actually wanting to join the army just to kill people for the sake of killing will soon get the boot from the Drill Sergeant.

Perhaps Mr Fox has never stopped to think of all the families of the Taliban, German, Italian, Japanese, Agentinian and of course Irish - who have all had sons, brothers, uncles, husbands taken from them by British and American armies. At least with the game - it's all pixels and sprites: not real. No-one really dies, gets wounded, maimed or even suffers the mental traumas that comes with a real war.

If this were football, it's like saying "I'm going to ban this game - and if I can't do that - I want to make sure that Germany aren't allowed to score goals because they were the "bad guys" in World War 2."

What an arse.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:But Liam Fox is clearly trying to score some cheapo political points from the "Family Values" type voter. The kind of fool who thinks that violent games make violent people. All it does is make Mr Fox look like an out of touch, condescending toss-pot who lives in an ivory tower.

Or he may have a relative in the games division. Slapping a ban on this type of entertainment (take The Punisher for example, or Manhunt 2) increases the controversy, makes good publicity and ultimately increases sales.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:
Gunner 51 wrote:But Liam Fox is clearly trying to score some cheapo political points from the "Family Values" type voter. The kind of fool who thinks that violent games make violent people. All it does is make Mr Fox look like an out of touch, condescending toss-pot who lives in an ivory tower.

Or he may have a relative in the games division. Slapping a ban on this type of entertainment (take The Punisher for example, or Manhunt 2) increases the controversy, makes good publicity and ultimately increases sales.

Unfortunately, EA - the game's publishers have capitulated a little to the government's demands.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ion-Change

Personally, I think it's a shame to censor someone's art like this simply because folks like Mr Fox find it personally offensive. It's not like the game was intended for people like him in the first place.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Posted on

EA should have told him to fuck off IMO.

Liam Fox probably dreams of a Soviet Style dictatorship where dissenters are heavily stomped upon with jack boots

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:Ah, I've seen this debated on The Escapist (gaming) forums. This is a fairly old bit of news now.

But Liam Fox is clearly trying to score some cheapo political points from the "Family Values" type voter. The kind of fool who thinks that violent games make violent people. All it does is make Mr Fox look like an out of touch, condescending toss-pot who lives in an ivory tower.

But in essence, most people and even children can tell real life from a computer game - especially when it has a 15 or 18 certificate slapped upon it like any other film. But what Mr Fox also should take on board is how no events from the game can compare to real life - seeing how the game is not actually real. Furthermore, anyone actually wanting to join the army just to kill people for the sake of killing will soon get the boot from the Drill Sergeant.

Perhaps Mr Fox has never stopped to think of all the families of the Taliban, German, Italian, Japanese, Agentinian and of course Irish - who have all had sons, brothers, uncles, husbands taken from them by British and American armies. At least with the game - it's all pixels and sprites: not real. No-one really dies, gets wounded, maimed or even suffers the mental traumas that comes with a real war.

If this were football, it's like saying "I'm going to ban this game - and if I can't do that - I want to make sure that Germany aren't allowed to score goals because they were the "bad guys" in World War 2."

What an arse.

Liam Fox couldn't care less about the victims or there families of any of them. Whether they are British, American Afghanistan, Iranian, Iraqi, etc. He's also not worried about games and any kind of 'family' friendliness, whatever that means.

All Liam Fox cares about is that the Game was contrary to the good v. Evil propaganda message of the Elite he works for. He'd be quite happy for a game which portrays the 'Western' Armies as the morally superior crusaders, wearing the White Hats, and the enemy as the uncivilised terrorists devoid of any good morality an wearing the Black Hats.

And that's why he is a complete and utter twat.

And ...I bet he watches Gunsmoke ...

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Liam Fox couldn't care less about the victims or there families of any of them. Whether they are British, American Afghanistan, Iranian, Iraqi, etc. He's also not worried about games and any kind of 'family' friendliness, whatever that means.

All Liam Fox cares about is that the Game was contrary to the good v. Evil propaganda message of the Elite he works for. He'd be quite happy for a game which portrays the 'Western' Armies as the morally superior crusaders, wearing the White Hats, and the enemy as the uncivilised terrorists devoid of any good morality an wearing the Black Hats.

And that's why he is a complete and utter twat.

And ...I bet he watches Gunsmoke ...

I guess that's why politicians become what they are, they don't really care about other people but they say they do to advance their careers. Because it is only themselves who the politician really cares about.

Though I think you are really onto something with the second paragraph. Though I think he's doing it more for himself than his bosses.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Gaming