Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

How do you get a teen to wear a cycle helmet?

True Red's forum about Brats. All things Kids and the beating of!! No Gary Glitters!

Moderator:

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Our house has turned into chaos because of a cycle helmet!

We already had a letter home from the school to say the brat had been caught without a helmet on. It's school policy if they cycle they must wear a helmet which I fully support. The letter advised if he gets caught again, then the bike will be conviscated and have to be collected by a parent. Fair enough both myself and his father support this.

Today we had a letter advising the school have arranged for the police to come in and talk to the pupils who had received letters, and if we support this can we sign that we agree for brat to miss part of a lesson to attend the talk. I told him the content of the letter and that we expect him to go. What a mistake, he said it wasn't fair as he;d only been told once and he doesn't wear a helmet anyway and nothing happend, his is broken and he won't but one and it's all stupid, as there's (according to him only 1 in 4000 chance of being knocked off his bike).

Guess I'm over senstive to statiscs anyway with 1 in 10,000 chance of the problems with the baby, but I tried explaining you never know what will happen and it's best not to risk your health anyway, I could arrange for someone in the family to buy a helmet as a x-mas present (and was told that would be a shit present). At this point I was in tears and phoned his dad to warn him to deal with it when he came home.

1/2 later a repeat of the same slanging match with his dad. :roll:

Feels like he;s not going to listen to anyone! Any suggestions on how to get it into his head that he should wear a helmet or anyone got any evidence that it makes no difference if you wear one or not?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7194
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: I don't know - I've lost the map!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: recovering

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Awwwm Trues Dont know what I can advise really, maybe if the police have piccs of *very bad bike accidents* Then show them to him.....or perhaps the police have videos.I'm sure they should help you out there. unfortuntly its like everything you shouldnt do .you do. :(



User avatar
Forum Slapper Lush
Posts: 35310
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: East London with Just Dave now.
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

A couple of long screws should keep one in place, even if it is broken.

And you only have to google with safe search off to find plenty of gory accident photos.

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 23638
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I think those rugby ball helmets make you look like a retard. Is that his reasoning for not wearing one?

I never wore a cycle helmet as a kid and cycled everywhere. I once careered down a hill near my house when I was between 5 and 7 yrs old - can't remember exactly. I caem off the bike cut my forehead open and still have a small but hardly noticeble scar.

We now live in a world which is cotton wool of course it's safer to wear a helmet. personally i think a bit of risk is good for people. That's until you get caught out so I'm in two minds on this. I think on balance it's worth wearing one. There's a lot more traffic on the roads these days and it could save his life if some idiot crashes into him.

Tell him Smeggy says it's better to be a live retard than be a dead cool boy!!! :thumb:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118655
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

My son loves cycling, but fortunately he has worn a helmet from day one.
About two years ago, he had an accident whilst cycling on the Isle of Dogs. A small child ran out in front of him, he swerved to aviod him and (we think) went straight over the handlebars, finished up with a broken collarbone, lost a front tooth, and had to have two operations to sort out the collarbone.
All those breakages were repairable, and he's fine now, and still loves his cycling.
The point is, I cannot begin to imagine what would have happened if he hadn't been wearing his helmet.
Perhaps you could have a word with your GP or local hospital, explain the problem and see if they can get someone (preferably a young A&E doctor for example), to talk to him, and explain what could happen if he comes off his bike.
I know they're all very busy, but for something like this, I'm sure they'd give up a few minutes - i'ts worth a try anyway.

Good luck trues :thumb:

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. Ambrose Bierce (1842-1913)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare. The internet has proved that this is not the case...

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 6578
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:45 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Ark at me earlier trying to give a bit of advice and I cant even ride an effin bike....Oh the shame. :oops: :oops:



User avatar
Forum Slapper Lush
Posts: 35310
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: East London with Just Dave now.
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Dolls wrote:Ark at me earlier trying to give a bit of advice and I cant even ride an effin bike....Oh the shame. :oops: :oops:


It's easy dolls - and you know how, you never forget - apparently! :rofl:

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. Ambrose Bierce (1842-1913)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare. The internet has proved that this is not the case...

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 6578
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 7:45 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

tango15 wrote:
Dolls wrote:Ark at me earlier trying to give a bit of advice and I cant even ride an effin bike....Oh the shame. :oops: :oops:


It's easy dolls - and you know how, you never forget - apparently! :rofl:





:eek: :groan: I bet *Oi on yer bike* :finger: :spank: :spank: :rofl:


Hmm Just because you can fly an effin plane Mr :spank: :breaking:



PMSL I can just about effin walk.... :rofl: :rofl:



User avatar
Forum Slapper Lush
Posts: 35310
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: East London with Just Dave now.
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

True red wrote:Our house has turned into chaos because of a cycle helmet!

We already had a letter home from the school to say the brat had been caught without a helmet on. It's school policy if they cycle they must wear a helmet which I fully support. The letter advised if he gets caught again, then the bike will be conviscated and have to be collected by a parent. Fair enough both myself and his father support this.

Today we had a letter advising the school have arranged for the police to come in and talk to the pupils who had received letters, and if we support this can we sign that we agree for brat to miss part of a lesson to attend the talk. I told him the content of the letter and that we expect him to go. What a mistake, he said it wasn't fair as he;d only been told once and he doesn't wear a helmet anyway and nothing happend, his is broken and he won't but one and it's all stupid, as there's (according to him only 1 in 4000 chance of being knocked off his bike).

Guess I'm over senstive to statiscs anyway with 1 in 10,000 chance of the problems with the baby, but I tried explaining you never know what will happen and it's best not to risk your health anyway, I could arrange for someone in the family to buy a helmet as a x-mas present (and was told that would be a shit present). At this point I was in tears and phoned his dad to warn him to deal with it when he came home.

1/2 later a repeat of the same slanging match with his dad. :roll:

Feels like he;s not going to listen to anyone! Any suggestions on how to get it into his head that he should wear a helmet or anyone got any evidence that it makes no difference if you wear one or not?


how about a nail gun that would keep the fucker in place !!!!! :rofl: (sorry could not resist ) :D




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No that would kill him.


use superglue!!! :D :D

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118655
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:No that would kill him.


use superglue!!! :D :D


just realised CH had the same idea!! screws !! :D

I honestly would not worry too much unless he rides on busy main roads .....





Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to True Red's Parenting Place

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest