Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Free education?

True Red's forum about Brats. All things Kids and the beating of!! No Gary Glitters!

Moderator:

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I'm not too bothered about this, but I know when OH gets home he's going to moan like mad.

We got a letter from brats school:
Our records show that your child has opted to take GCSE geography next year.

As part of the course, candidates need to undertake a piece of fieldwork that will count for 25% of the their overall GCSE grade.

The cost of the trip will be approximately £170.

The trip is extremely important to the completion of the course an pupils who do not attend the field trip will find it very difficult to complete the controlled assessment aspect of the course.

As it's for the GCSE I don't mind paying, but he goes to a state school, not a private one.

What do you think, should state school pupils have to pay for their education?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: recovering

Posted on

I think the problem with this is that they can't do the course without the trip and in the current climate a lot of parents will struggle to find £170. So I think it is stupid to make it a percentage of the marks. It is basically saying if you can't afford it your kid can't do the subject. So, yes TR, I think its wrong.

Posted on

A lot of parents paid £700ish to send their kids skiing last year. It was a school trip, not part of a subject, but a lot of parents took it up, for the opportunity. But then they offered another trip to Spain, for a football thing, but that was cancelled as it was too soon after the skiing trip.

There was no mention of this trip when the options were offered. As I said, I don't mind paying as (providing he puts the effort in), it will go towards his exams, but I wonder what they will do for families that can't afford it.

Grand Master

Posted on

True red wrote:I'm not too bothered about this, but I know when OH gets home he's going to moan like mad.

We got a letter from brats school:
Our records show that your child has opted to take GCSE geography next year.

As part of the course, candidates need to undertake a piece of fieldwork that will count for 25% of the their overall GCSE grade.

The cost of the trip will be approximately £170.

The trip is extremely important to the completion of the course an pupils who do not attend the field trip will find it very difficult to complete the controlled assessment aspect of the course.

As it's for the GCSE I don't mind paying, but he goes to a state school, not a private one.

What do you think, should state school pupils have to pay for their education?

\

as the school have opted for a course whereby a field trip represents 25% of the marks and that it is GCSE (NOT A LEVEL) you are under no obligation to pay this money.

as the trip is an integral part of the course the school can only ask for this money on a voluntary basis.
your son cannot be penalised by not being allowed to go on the trip if you do not pay. :thumbdown:

all you have to do is to send in a letter stating that your son would like to attend the trip but you cannot afford this sum of money. do not feel guilty! times are bloody hard and you are already contributing to his education via your taxes.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

True red wrote:A lot of parents paid £700ish to send their kids skiing last year. It was a school trip, not part of a subject, but a lot of parents took it up, for the opportunity. But then they offered another trip to Spain, for a football thing, but that was cancelled as it was too soon after the skiing trip.

There was no mention of this trip when the options were offered. As I said, I don't mind paying as (providing he puts the effort in), it will go towards his exams, but I wonder what they will do for families that can't afford it.

but I wonder what they will do for families that can't afford it.[/quote]

the school made thier own choice of syllabus to follow---they knew that it entailed a trip which counted towards the final marks. they could have chosen another module.

thier choice---if enough parents don't cough up then there are 2 choices.

1. school stumps up the shortfall
2.blag it and be somewhat creative with the "pupils work" and pray that no work is called in for moderation.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

Bleedin ell talk about feeling an old fogey :hmmm: PMSL here we go. Well when I was at school we were lucky when he got a trip to Hampton Court Palace. :eek4: :D (Its true)!!!!

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Contact your local LEA if you cant afford it. They usually give in and stump up the cash if parents are in money difficulties, (to coin a phrase), and if its crucial to his education, they cant really refuse to stump up!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Alcoholic
Current Mood: Giblet Botherer

Posted on

Hang on. State School. GCSE. Outrageous. What am I paying taxes for? (Rhetorical question).

Of course, to subsidise religious schools and allow private schools to avoid taxes by maintaining their charitable status.

Posted on

Forgot about this thread!

However over the last month:

£21 for a history trip (I forget where to)
£7 for a book needed for English
£40 for an art set including, artist pencils, a sketch pad and an A3 portfolio folder, to keep course work safe in.

Grand Master

Posted on

The government is extending the time of education and making people pay for it. pretty much everyone will goto university in a few years ( except the complete plebs ) and have to take out a loan to pay for it. This is crafty by teh government as it's an alternative to increaseing the leaving age.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

£11 for art trip to the Tate Modern.

And get this - £4.50 for school x-mas dinner!!!!!!!! (Thinking about it, I should be claiming free school dinners, but both usually take a packed lunch and I can imagine the brats reaction as to his mates finding out)

Grand Master

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to True Red's Parenting Place