Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Pain in childbirth 'a good thing' ??

True Red's forum about Brats. All things Kids and the beating of!! No Gary Glitters!

Moderator:

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Pain in childbirth 'a good thing' ??

According to the good old :zbcnews: there's been a few angry mummies in response to this story ... especially because the commentator was a man. :hyenas:

Epidurals
BOGOF at Tescos this week
The pain of childbirth may have benefits on which women who opt for painkilling epidurals miss out, a senior male midwife has said.

Dr Denis Walsh, associate professor in midwifery at Nottingham University, said pain was a "rite of passage" which often helped regulate childbirth.

He said it helped strengthen a mother's bond with her baby, and prepared her for the responsibility of motherhood.

But an obstetrician said epidurals were an important option for some women.

Dr Walsh, who wrote on the subject in the journal Evidence Based Midwifery, agreed that in some cases epidurals were very useful.

But he said epidural rates had been rising over the last 20 years, despite the fact that alternative, less invasive ways to manage pain in labour were available.

He said pain in labour was known to have positive physiological effects, such as helping to establish a rhythm to childbirth.

It also triggered the release of endorphins which helped women to adjust to pain.

Dr Walsh said epidurals were known to increase the risk that hormone treatment would be needed to boost contractions, and that devices such as forceps would be needed to complete the birth successfully.

He said: "I am concerned that if we increase epidural rates we do not know the long-term impacts of that."

But he warned that a culture had emerged where most hospitals effectively offered women epidurals on demand.

Official figures show the number of mothers receiving an epidural rose from 17% in 1989 to 1990 to 33% in 2007 to 2008.

Dr Walsh said the NHS should encourage alternative ways to deal with pain such as yoga, hypnosis, massage and birthing pools. Article Continues here ...

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I wouldn't know, I didn't find it too much pain with my 1st, which surprised most people, as they thought I'd struggle.

I didn't even realise I was in labour :oops:

This time I'm hoping for just the gas and air again, which is all I had last time.

I think it's an individual decision, but not one that should be made ahead of labour. Go with what seems right at that time. One thing that I find odd, is the pre-booked c-sections for modern women, who don't want to got through child birth.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

Grand Master
Current Mood: recovering

Posted on

I'm glad your first wasn't to bad red, my sis in law had to have a c section. She was having heart problems...nearly killed her.

Surely though it has to be individual choice with pain relief during birth, although I'm bloody glad I'll never have to find out.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

I've never felt pain like it in all my life!!! I was in labour for 14 hours before I had my epidural and I found it very, very distressing, not to mention fucking agonising! After the epidural I was calm and felt very excited knowing that I would soon meet my baby :) I agree that epidurals shouldn't be a first resort, but as the midwife who delivered my son said to me, you don't get any medals for natural childbirth.

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Tired but happy

Posted on

2 births 2 epidurals.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

Happened already in The Hospital (one episode specifically dedicated to ignorant fat bints up the duff)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=873531

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

I wonder whether the author of that report would have a tooth extracted without anaesthetic?

TR - given the option, I wanted a ceasarian with my first - I hated the idea of splitting & being swollen, my bits get swollen at the slightest excuse. As it turned out Firstborn was tangled up in the umbilical tube and they had to do an emergency section anyway, which suited me. Mini Deb was born naturally, but with an epidural - and numerous doctors looking at my bits in horror, telling me how swollen I was. Cheers guys.

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

2 births - no epidurals. First one I got a couple of codeine which I brought up as I can't tolerate them. The nursing sister nearly killed my baby, :mad: as she told me I wasn't even in labour, when I told her I was nearly ready to push. Persian houseman saved my baby's life and mine I reckon, by acting promptly.

Second - again told I wasn't far enuff on in labour to have any pain killers/pethidin. Proved 'em wrong...again, by producing my son 55 minutes later :pp:

Both labours were agonisingly painful, but shorter than many, at only 12 hours apiece.

I think pain is an individual experience, as is labour. Some gals pop 'em out like shelling peas, some go thru' the tortures of hell. :(

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

My first one was a forceps delivery with the aid of some very welcom pethidine!!! ( I still flinch when I see a spatula :confused: )
Second one was gas and air and was over before I knew it :)

On two rolls!!
Current Mood: On the edge!

Posted on

I kept the gas an air too. ;)

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

like shelling peas for me :oops:

2nd one came out after 6 contractions and a bit of gas and air---luckily the midwife was standing by wearing a catcher's mitten-----wasn't sure if it was for the baby or the husband who had fainted :rofl:

no joke--the lightwieght fainted--and he wasn't even at the "business end". :thumbdown:

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

Aww Bless Him :rofl:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Resident Alcoholic
Current Mood: Giblet Botherer

Posted on

Pain during childbirth is a female fallacy, a story put about my women to garner sympathy from men who actually know what real pain is every time they get a cold.

Posted on

Lord Gumble wrote:Aww Bless Him :rofl:

bless him my arse!

nothing but a big girl's blouse :rofl:

Grumpy Old Cow

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:Pain during childbirth is a female fallacy, a story put about my women to garner sympathy from men who actually know what real pain is every time they get a cold.

dicing with death making comments like that martyn :rofl:

in my experience, the only time men feel pain that can be compared to childbirth is when i kick them in the scrotum for 8 hours whilst wearing a pair of doc.martens :rofl:

:chin: :chin: ----oh no, that's just my fantasy! damn!

and on that note it's time for me to go to bed and dream of doc martens :rofl:

Grumpy Old Cow

Posted on

robinnia wrote:
martyn20 wrote:Pain during childbirth is a female fallacy, a story put about my women to garner sympathy from men who actually know what real pain is every time they get a cold.

in my experience, the only time men feel pain that can be compared to childbirth is when i kick them in the scrotum for 8 hours whilst wearing a pair of doc.martens :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Post of the year :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :thumb:

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
robinnia wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Post of the year :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :thumb:

thankyou martyn, very sweet of you to say that but it still doesn't get you out of that kicking! :rofl:

i'll have to do it tomorrow as i'm too tired to give anyone a good thrashing :thumb:

Grumpy Old Cow

Posted on

:howl: It's 1.45 am, I cant sleep and I've just sprayed my keyboard with coffee!!!!
I'm lovin the doc marten theory!!!!!!!

On two rolls!!

Posted on

Sweetpea wrote::howl: It's 1.45 am, I cant sleep and I've just sprayed my keyboard with coffee!!!!
I'm lovin the doc marten theory!!!!!!!

You might well love the theory, I just have a feeling I may have to endure the practice later today :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Posted on

Good luck Martyn, I'm sure a very daft man once said "pain is good for the soul" :wave:

On two rolls!!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to True Red's Parenting Place