Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Days out on a budget

True Red's forum about Brats. All things Kids and the beating of!! No Gary Glitters!

Moderator:

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

A day out can be expensive as you want it to be. I'm fortunate enough to live nearish London, and quite often we can stretch a day out to about £30 which is train fair to London for me and the kids, including a days travel pass for tubes and buses. We take our own lunch and kids take their pocket money for souvenirs.

So good places to go in London on the cheap?

Most museums are free:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/ - British museum, 1000's of exhibits and something to suit everyone. Brat was fascinated with the Egyptian mummies

http://london.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.209 - Imperial War museum, great for history on the war etc, very much a boy's thing.

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/prices.aspx Science museum - hands on and interactive.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/ - Natural History museum (we spent all day with the dinosaurs on the last visit thanks to little 'un)

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/VisitUs/
http://www.vam.ac.uk/your_visit/index.html

Museum of London and Victoria & Albert - I;ve not been to the last 2 but they're free :thumb:

We also like doing the tourist views too (these aren't my pics btw)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: recovering

Posted on

Trues Also remember Central London is lovely. Where I worked (Upper Thames Street) nearest tube station (bank) You walk along the embankement cross the wibblywobbly bridge :rofl: St Ppauls Catherdral is lovely but round the back streets there are some places that you can visit....Take a walk over Southwark Bridge towards Borough Market (alll along the Thames) lovely pubs on the river then you walk through the little streets of at the back of the market all cobbled!

Not sure how much the Tower of London is but I love it! I used to in me school holidays go everyday! (they had *red rover*bus tickets then) PMSL

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

This is another good place apparently

Bethnal Green museum of toys

http://www.alondonguide.com/bethnalgree ... dhood.html

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Aww Dont forget the monument! 314 Steps (I think) Bastard to climb but its Thee monument to the *Great Fire Of London* :thumb:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Awww Just thought Hyde Park is beautiful for a picnic! Or St James Park (nr Green Park Station) :thumb:

St James park is a bit more ermm not so public...! ;) Its beaufiul though Trues.

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Dolls wrote:Awww Just thought Hyde Park is beautiful for a picnic! Or St James Park (nr Green Park Station) :thumb:

Of course, that's where we usually sit down for lunch! How could I forget :banghead:

Grand Master

Posted on

Dolls wrote:Aww Dont forget the monument! 314 Steps (I think) Bastard to climb but its Thee monument to the *Great Fire Of London* :thumb:

That's the sort of thing I love, keeps the kids interested, by climibing and more often than not, they're actually learning bits and bobs at the same time :thumb:

Grand Master

Posted on

very good to know if you have teenage kids....any cheap places to go for kids under 6 year olds?

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: happy.

Posted on

True red wrote:
Dolls wrote:Aww Dont forget the monument! 314 Steps (I think) Bastard to climb but its Thee monument to the *Great Fire Of London* :thumb:

That's the sort of thing I love, keeps the kids interested, by climibing and more often than not, they're actually learning bits and bobs at the same time :thumb:

Yes Its very exciiting for kids to see all those steps (my poor mum when she took me up there came down and all her limbs where a quivering.we thought she had servitis dance! (SP havent a clue) poor darling my mun had emphysema at the time and she didnt know it......... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If yuo take your kids to London I think they need to know the history.....You can make it challengiing for them......when you take em you can say *So what is this for etc why?. Trues I loved it when I was a kid I was always questioning.my dad was fabulous he's knowledge was fantastic...... :thumb:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

sarah1980 wrote:very good to know if you have teenage kids....any cheap places to go for kids under 6 year olds?

Awww not sure if this is any help

http://www.visitlondon.com/people/budget/kids-go-free

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

sarah1980 wrote:very good to know if you have teenage kids....any cheap places to go for kids under 6 year olds?

Sarah, I googled London for under5s (came up automatically). It looks as if most of the museums cater for the younger ones. With my 2 there is a 7 year age gap, so I'm sure little 'un must have been really young when we went the British Museum think that was about 2 or 3 years ago, and he's going to be 8 in september. He remembers the best bit being the tube! :roll:

http://www.google.com/search?q=london+for+under+5s&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3PBFA_enGB266GB267&aq=t

Grand Master

Posted on

Thanks dolls and trueblue :D

Really Loves the Place!
Current Mood: happy.

Posted on

I know loads but not in London.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

Hyde Park, Is that where the Princess of Wales water memorial thing is? Is that always open or working?

for those who have children under 16

http://www.summerunilondon.org/about/wh ... s_run.aspx

your child will come out of school with a leaflet soon but to be honest there won't be any places left by then. I booked a few things for the children 10 minutes after the courses were released, this was last week. and am yet to find out if the children are successful. The majority of the courses are free. there is dance, drama, football coaching, football academy, film, media, golf (this is a week long one in my borough), outdoor activiites, orienteering, gymnastics, hip hop dance, dodgeball, first aid, High School Musical dancing, Tons more stuff.

49p biscuits? that's Asda Price!
plastic fire engines? that's Fisher Price!
selling rape stories to The Sun? That's Katie Price!

On three rolls!!

Posted on

GIR wrote:I know loads but not in London.

You can still tell us GIR, might be near enough for others to go to! :)

Grand Master

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to True Red's Parenting Place