Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Do you still buy CDs?

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Do you still buy CDs?

Show's how out of touch I am. :oops: I was under the impression that it was just downloads these days. Ms Smeggy informed me we still have TWO 'record' shops in town. Virgin and HMV

Anyone still buy CD albums and singles. or do you download ( free or otherwise )?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I still buy em though usually from Amazon as HMV and Virgin are way too expensive. Bought Police greatest hits the other week, Eurythmics Greatest Hits the week before, and Stand Up by Jethro Tull the week before that. Really confuses the Amazon "Recommended for You" machine :)

I try to buy whatever the guys at Cubase produce too. I never buy downloads, never will.

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Nutter!!

Posted on

Had written quite a bit about this but then lost the page but anyway the gist of it was 'yes'. :D

Posted on

Yes - mainly from play or amazon or occasionally from ebay. Never pay full price for anything though, only buy if heavily reduced.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD. Must be at least 10 years ago, probably more.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD. Must be at least 10 years ago, probably
more.

the last one I bought was Paulo Nuttini (SP) but I gave it away :D

Posted on

I find music on the net. If I like the artist/band I buy the album on physical CD.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Yes,I need something tangible in my hand for my money. I still buy vinyl as well. I like all the bumff that comes with albums,...well there used to be a lot more,but you do get the odd good thing.
A download to me looks like a waste of money as you don't see anything for it. I generally use a local record store in Aberystwyth,or direct from the artist,or from one of the internet sites.

Highway Star
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Posted on

I wont buy download tracks either. I want the real CD, booklet and stuff. There are also various technical disadvantages to mp3 files even if they sound 99% as good as full wav files - clipping and track breaks being the main ones.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

HMV to close 60 stores as sales and shares slump

Woof Woof
Music and books retailer HMV Group will close 60 UK stores in the next 12 months in response to declining sales.

Christmas sales at the firm - which also owns Waterstone's bookshops - were down 10%, and it warned profits would be at the lower end of forecasts.

Business was hit by the severe weather and "challenging trading conditions".

The firm's shares dropped 21% after it revealed the sales data, and admitted it was having trouble meeting the terms of a bank loan.

The 60 stores set to close represent roughly 10% of the group's UK High Street presence, which comprises 285 HMV shops and 312 Waterstone's outlets.

It is understood that 40 HMV branches will close along with 20 Waterstone's bookshops.

As well as the store closures, HMV said it would implement other cost-cutting measures that would save it a further £10m per year.

Like-for-like sales for the crucial five weeks to 1 January were down 10.2% on last year, due to a 13.6% slump at its HMV music stores in the UK and Irish Republic, according to the firm's trading statement - which was issued a week earlier than planned.

HMV was not the only retailer blaming the cold weather. Clothes chain Next said it had lost £22m in store sales because shoppers stayed away when the snow fell in the run-up to Christmas.

However, there was better news from the department store John Lewis, where like-for-like sales for the Christmas period were up 7.6%.

Its supermarket division Waitrose also said it would open 39 new stores this year, creating 3,000 new jobs.

Article Source and continues in earnest ...

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I have lots of cds unfortunatly due to having me flat renovated I had to get rid of me vinyls.......Dont so sad..what makes me angry is my 45's I put in a box outside the house........AND I know some of em were gems......rolling stones first ep etc.......I cant be bothered now really......but I havent got any fancy,wancy ipod thingy that plays this and that....if I want to play music I just stick in the cd player on the pc.........NOT THE BEST SOUND I KNOW......

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

I've got a lot of vinyl in the loft. Some of it is worth something. i.e I've got two Beatles White albums. one is serial numbered.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Beatles white albums should be burned! The music equivalent of dried fruit! ;)

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Whats strange is me and me mate bought in the 60's Four Tops Album....Both intros on the first recond on the album were different.......how weird is that!!!!.....I reckon it could have been worth money cos there was something completley different with *Walk away Renee*(sorry I'm sure it was that one but ......senior moments).....Lets face it they did bugger up on vinyl those days........ :hmmm:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

I had loads andl loads of albums that I gave away to charity......some I know were worth abit......didnt care though....couldnt store em....

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

I'd have had them off you,dolls!!!

Highway Star

Posted on

I've got my vinyl stashed away somewhere. Never likely to play any of em ever again. Just CDs (Computer CD player, occasionally on the stereo downstairs) and MP3s (Media player mostly) for me these days.

Back to Paul's article, HMV will likely go under, they cannot match Amazon and a few other retailers. Amazon employ agencies to get the cheapest CDs, buy a few CDs off Amazon and watch where they come from when they arrive. Indigo Starfish (Who?) are one such agency. Similarly with books, DVDs etc. Amazon are now in the grocery business too :eek: Currently, unstoppable.......

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Nutter!!

Posted on

John lee Pettimore wrote:I'd have had them off you,dolls!!!

Awww sorry JLP!! Lots of people have said to me *I'd avem* too late....I had some really classy stuff, stuff you just cannot even get on cd's, gorgeous blues lp's real blues....... :(

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

I'm a vinyl junkie,just love it all,the sound,the feel,the posters and stickers(When new). You can't get that with a download.

Highway Star

Posted on

John lee Pettimore wrote:I'm a vinyl junkie,just love it all,the sound,the feel,the posters and stickers(When new). You can't get that with a download.

PMSL Now a few years ago I would think that expression was filfy.....sounds like a bit of a *J arfur* :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Nahh hate all this download shite...... :confused:

Forum Slapper Lush

Next

Return to Music