Groundhog Day - Modern classic

Hollywood meets Popcorn!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

This is one of my favourite films - I love it :D

"Where's everybody going?"
"To Gobbler's Knob - it's Groundhog Day!"
"It's still just once a year isn't it?"

What would you do if you found you had to live the same day over and over again? That's the question facing Phil Connors (Bill Murray, Ghostbusters) who surely gives one of the performances of his career as the cynical, grouchy weatherman of a TV network in this superb comedy.
Phil is sent to the small town of Punxsutawney in Pennsylvania to cover the Groundhog Day festivities, but ends up being trapped in the town when a freak blizzard strikes and he is unable to go home. Things get even weirder when he wakes up the next day, and finds it is Groundhog Day, again.
And again... and again....

Psychiatrist: I think I can get you an appointment.. how's tomorrow for you?
*Phil bashes his face with a cushion*
:rofl: :rofl:

It is a great credit to director Harold Ramis and the screenwriters that this film is consistently hilarious and fresh, despite having essentially just 1 joke in it. It really had me laughing out loud in places because of the supremely witty script and some of the escapades in the film, and there's something so funny about the way Phil is first puzzled it is the same day again, then bewildered or angry, then discovers he can change his persona each time he lives through Groundhog Day to suit his needs - even if manipulating his day to win the heart of cheerful producer Rita (Andie McDowell) is not quite so easy...
Andie's performance in the film is very good and her romance with Bill Murray's character is sweetly believable, the pair have nice chemistry between them.

Poor Phil has to resort to desperate measures to make it become the next day which can be very funny indeed, and even though his character is cynical and has an arrogant, even cruel, streak in the beginning you feel sorry for him as the film goes on which, again, I feel is a sign of excellent writing. We are at one with Phil, seeing the film through his eyes - we want him to succeed and end up with Rita.

I loved the "repeated" scenes in the film, showing how his reaction changes (perhaps ironically because they are something you know is going to happen), like the smashing of the clock radio playing I Got You, Babe. That scene never fails to make me laugh. :rofl: :rofl:
I think the film even poses interesting questions beneath the gags - how would you live your life if you had free reign to what you wanted, with no consequences? Would you be happy?
Through his experiences, Phil gradually changes his outlook and attitude, becoming a more compassionate, nicer person and tries his best to help the people around him instead of just thinking of himself. A simple moral message perhaps, but told so well, and paced perfectly that allows for touching scenes and nice character development. The film isn't preachy, but the fact it has this lesson, which you kind of follow along with Phil, makes for a deeper experience.
I think the message of the film (in order to find happiness, Bill Murray has to change, be a nicer person and embrace every moment) spiritual and meaningful - this surprised me because I'm not religious.

It's certainly one of my favourite films, one of the best comedies ever - and a modern American classic that I love.

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know
I'll never find another you
- The Seekers

"Life is what happens to you when you're away making other plans" - John Lennon

"Names Gene Hunt, your DCI and its 1973. Almost dinner time. I'm havin' hoops!"

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: What a shitload of fuck

Posted on

ever "watched and understood" ,"edward scissorhands" grims ? great story and , perhaps, a lesson to be learned :thumb:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Havent seen it Wots, but I'll check it out one day :thumb:

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know
I'll never find another you
- The Seekers

"Life is what happens to you when you're away making other plans" - John Lennon

"Names Gene Hunt, your DCI and its 1973. Almost dinner time. I'm havin' hoops!"

Complete Nutter!!
Current Mood: What a shitload of fuck

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Movies