Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Hollywood meets Popcorn!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I seen this film in 3D in Glasgow and was very reluctant to go but I must say it was one of the best films I have ever seen. I actually felt like I was in the film and the special effects were amazing! And no Annie, It actually made me forget about my depression for 3 hours! :D

Sweetheart
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

3D and other SFX are outstanding, it does make this a beautiful movie visually.

They say that it's been about 15 years or so in the making, they were waiting for the technology to become advanced enough to give it optimum quality. I'm going to have to be a bit churlish and say it's a shame that JC didn't do something with the script during that time.

It's basically a story of White man comes to village and and rapes and pillages the natives, a worthy story except it's been done before, Pocahontas springs to mind. There were also flashes of Aliens and Star Wars in there somewhere. All of that could be get away with it-able except for the the fact that it was all rather predictable, and also a lack of characterization.

The main protagonists Jake Sully and Neytiri played by Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana both of whom give superb performances and add depth to the characters that the scrip doesn't.

Dr Grace Augustine played by Sigorney Weaver, I read somewhere was planned to be called Ripley in homage to the character Weaver played in the Alien(s) movies, I guess that is how she was written here.

Stephen Lang's Character, Colonel Miles Quaritch is just a bog standard gun totting strutting US military guy, my opinion is JC said to SL " look, we're not going to write a script for your character, instead what I want you to do is go and watch all the US war movies there are out there, learn how a gung ho Colonel behaves and says, than come back and start ad libbing when the cameras roll" in a 3D movie that character was the most one dimensional thing going. Your supposed to feel satisfaction when the bad guy get their comeuppance, but there was no such feeling when he did because as soon as he started speaking and strutting you knew what his role and eventual fate was.

Anyway those are my main gripes, I could go on a bit more, but I won't.

Onwards and Upwards

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Little_Law_Chick wrote:I seen this film in 3D in Glasgow and was very reluctant to go but I must say it was one of the best films I have ever seen. I actually felt like I was in the film and the special effects were amazing! And no Annie, It actually made me forget about my depression for 3 hours! :D

:D glad to hear it love ! I did find that article a little far fetched :D

I still have not seen it yet ....I suffer in the movies because of the sound ...it hurts my ears ...too loud :(
I now have to wait for movies to go to DVD before I can see them ....but I might take a change because of the 3D :thumb:

Posted on

it may well come out in 3D on dvd annie :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Previous

Return to Movies