Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Kerry Katona reveals drink battle...

Actress, Singer, Dancer. Model, Fashion designer, Perfume Seller, Author, Socialite and Cellulite!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      



Apparently, she has admitted that she's an alcoholic.

She is quoted as saying:


"This is not common knowledge as I've never admitted it before," the former Atomic Kitten singer said.

"Along with my bi-polar disorder this is an ongoing battle I will face for the rest of my life." But she stressed her addiction was "under control".

"Yes, I still have a drink when I want to, like any other 28-year-old woman," she told the paper.

"Some people think that an alcoholic is someone who drinks all the time but in fact it can be someone who drinks twice a month and gets hammered
."


Her husband Mark told the paper her performance on GMTV was not related to alcohol, but prescription medication she took for her bi-polar disorder. He also said:


"But she had not relapsed recently and only drank "about twice a month, if that". Seems like it's him who's in denial.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ariane wrote:"Some people think that an alcoholic is someone who drinks all the time but in fact it can be someone who drinks twice a month and gets hammered."

I'd agree with that. I don't think it's strictly the amount you drink that determines the problem, but more the circumstances in/around which you drink and the overall handling of it.



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I agree with the alcoholism part but as for the;
Her husband Mark told the paper her performance on GMTV was not related to alcohol, but prescription medication she took for her bi-polar disorder.


1) i am using this as an excuse for my bizarre posts around this place :thumb:
2) wasn't the bizarre interview on This morning? :confused:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:
ariane wrote:"Some people think that an alcoholic is someone who drinks all the time but in fact it can be someone who drinks twice a month and gets hammered."

I'd agree with that. I don't think it's strictly the amount you drink that determines the problem, but more the circumstances in/around which you drink and the overall handling of it.


Yup. Blokey seems to be saying that she "only" drinks twice a month while she's admitting that she gets hammered twice a month!




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:
ariane wrote:"Some people think that an alcoholic is someone who drinks all the time but in fact it can be someone who drinks twice a month and gets hammered."

I'd agree with that. I don't think it's strictly the amount you drink that determines the problem, but more the circumstances in/around which you drink and the overall handling of it.



I don't agree with that statement at all. An alcoholic is someone addicted to alcohol. if you are addicted to alcohol you cannot just drink twice a month. More katona Bullshit!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120115
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Katona is a fucking drama queen milking the media. She is an insult to real alcoholics and real people with real problems. She can fuck off! :mad:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120115
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:Katona is a fucking drama queen milking the media. She is an insult to real alcoholics and real people with real problems. She can fuck off! :mad:


I agree with that 100%

i still say you can be classed as alcoholic for why you drink, not just the frequency of you drinking. If on these alleged days a certain something triggers her to drink and then she is drinking 24 hours straight then she has a problem.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ariane wrote:Yup. Blokey seems to be saying that she "only" drinks twice a month while she's admitting that she gets hammered twice a month!

He's probably one of these people that thinks an alcoholic is someone who drinks whisky first thing in the morning; if you don't do that then you don't have a problem. I know a couple of people who think like that. Everyone handles drink differently and someone who drinks just once a month or even socially now and again may have a real struggle with the stuff and therefore have a drink problem, but the problem may not be just with the drink, but other things causing them to drink, which is two battles really and not just the one.

smeggypants wrote:I don't agree with that statement at all. An alcoholic is someone addicted to alcohol. if you are addicted to alcohol you cannot just drink twice a month. More katona Bullshit!


I totally disagree with that, Smegs. I'm not necessarily talking about 'alcoholism' as such, but a problem with alcohol in general, which like I said just now, may not be the trigger factor behind it.

staroffurby wrote:i still say you can be classed as alcoholic for why you drink, not just the frequency of you drinking.

That's exactly right. I wouldn't class myself as an alcoholic and don't drink all the time and never when/the day before working, but I have a definite problem with it because of the very reason you've just outlined. :)

staroffurby wrote:If on these alleged days a certain something triggers her to drink and then she is drinking 24 hours straight then she has a problem.

I know that feeling very well; it's a coping mechanism and if you cannot shake that urge to drink, even if you only drink now and again, if you drink when things go wrong and can't help yourself then yes, there is a very real drink problem there.



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:
ariane wrote:Yup. Blokey seems to be saying that she "only" drinks twice a month while she's admitting that she gets hammered twice a month!

He's probably one of these people that thinks an alcoholic is someone who drinks whisky first thing in the morning; if you don't do that then you don't have a problem. I know a couple of people who think like that. Everyone handles drink differently and someone who drinks just once a month or even socially now and again may have a real struggle with the stuff and therefore have a drink problem, but the problem may not be just with the drink, but other things causing them to drink, which is two battles really and not just the one.

smeggypants wrote:I don't agree with that statement at all. An alcoholic is someone addicted to alcohol. if you are addicted to alcohol you cannot just drink twice a month. More katona Bullshit!


I totally disagree with that, Smegs. I'm not necessarily talking about 'alcoholism' as such, but a problem with alcohol in general, which like I said just now, may not be the trigger factor behind it.

staroffurby wrote:i still say you can be classed as alcoholic for why you drink, not just the frequency of you drinking.

That's exactly right. I wouldn't class myself as an alcoholic and don't drink all the time and never when/the day before working, but I have a definite problem with it because of the very reason you've just outlined. :)

staroffurby wrote:If on these alleged days a certain something triggers her to drink and then she is drinking 24 hours straight then she has a problem.

I know that feeling very well; it's a coping mechanism and if you cannot shake that urge to drink, even if you only drink now and again, if you drink when things go wrong and can't help yourself then yes, there is a very real drink problem there.


I'm not one of those people that thinks you can only be an alcoholic who drinks whisky ( or anything alcoholic ) first thing in the morning.

but you've even recognised yourself - in red above - that you weren't talking about alcoholism as such. If you're someone who turns to drink because of other issues then IMO that's not alcoholism, but it's the other issues that are the problem. Alcohol just happens to be your coping mechanism. IOW alcohol is not the problem just the remedy. If you took the core issues away you wouldn't drink. but with an alcoholic, alcohol is the core problem.

To put it simply: There's a difference between "having a drink problem" and "having a problem which you use drink as an escape or coping mechanism from"

However I also recognise that while their is a difference the two issues they can overlap. But someone who drinks twice a month and get's hammered, may indeed have other problems, but they are not an alcoholic.

And let's be clear there's also a big difference between "not drinking in the morning or at work but getting home each evening and drinking till bedtime" and "drinking twice a month and getting hammered"

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120115
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:If you're someone who turns to drink because of other issues then IMO that's not alcoholism, but it's the other issues that are the problem.

I'd say there are varying degrees of it. Sometimes, even when the problem which causes you to drink has gone, the drinking still continues. Three years of my life were screwed up by this very thing before I managed to get some sort of control of it. In fact, because of it, my short term memory is virtually non-existent and I can remember almost nothing before 1998 or so.

There was a time, a few years ago, when I was drinking in a morning and all through the day but like I say, I got some control of it, but it's still a problem. It's an odd one; I had a few drinks with a friend last night and was fine, but other times it can be problematic. I also can't just stop at one or two drinks; if I have one I usually drink until I can take no more and that's even when I'm drinking socially and nothing has caused me to drink. :o

Still, other than the memory thing, it doesn't affect my day to day workings at all.

smeggypants wrote:To put it simply: There's a difference between "having a drink problem" and "having a problem which you use drink as an escape or coping mechanism from"

Things are rarely that straightforward though. You drink because something has happened and you feel you need to. Said thing clears up but by that point you're in a rut and the drinking gets worse. Happened to me but like I say, I got some control of it but it was a very, very difficult thing for me to do and far from easy.



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:If you're someone who turns to drink because of other issues then IMO that's not alcoholism, but it's the other issues that are the problem.

I'd say there are varying degrees of it. Sometimes, even when the problem which causes you to drink has gone, the drinking still continues. Three years of my life were screwed up by this very thing before I managed to get some sort of control of it. In fact, because of it, my short term memory is virtually non-existent and I can remember almost nothing before 1998 or so.

There was a time, a few years ago, when I was drinking in a morning and all through the day but like I say, I got some control of it, but it's still a problem. It's an odd one; I had a few drinks with a friend last night and was fine, but other times it can be problematic. I also can't just stop at one or two drinks; if I have one I usually drink until I can take no more and that's even when I'm drinking socially and nothing has caused me to drink. :o

Still, other than the memory thing, it doesn't affect my day to day workings at all.

smeggypants wrote:To put it simply: There's a difference between "having a drink problem" and "having a problem which you use drink as an escape or coping mechanism from"

Things are rarely that straightforward though. You drink because something has happened and you feel you need to. Said thing clears up but by that point you're in a rut and the drinking gets worse. Happened to me but like I say, I got some control of it but it was a very, very difficult thing for me to do and far from easy.


I do recognise what you're saying :) In fact above I said - "However I also recognise that while their is a difference the two issues they can overlap."

And that's what I'm reocognising when you say "Sometimes, even when the problem which causes you to drink has gone, the drinking still continues."

You drink to escape a problem and then the drink becomes the problem. And that's when you turn into an alcoholic, which as you've said "There was a time, a few years ago, when I was drinking in a morning and all through the day"

I know it's never a simplistic issue and that other issues can trigger alcoholism, but I was reacting to Kerry Katona's simplistic crap of "Some people think that an alcoholic is someone who drinks all the time but in fact it can be someone who drinks twice a month and gets hammered."

I still say that is bollox in it's simplicity. Once you get to the alcoholic stage you cannot keep it to twice a month. Which it looks like you've discovered all to painfully. It's wrong of Katona to make such statements, especially as people who enjoy going out twice a month and getting hammered for no other reason than for fun, might start to worry they have a problem.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120115
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:I still say that is bollox in it's simplicity. Once you get to the alcoholic stage you cannot keep it to twice a month

I guess that's alcohol addiction at its worst though as I was trying to point out, it doesn't start off like that.

Years ago I drank now and again because of things that were going on - a classic coping mechanism. That led to more drinking even when the problem was sorted, including drinking in the mornings and all day long, rarely eating. In my non driving for a living days, I frequently used to have four or five pints at dinner then go back to work. Things seriously spiralled. I drink socially now to enjoy myself but also, if things went wrong, I'd drink because of it but that would continue after the problem sorted itself, though I am stronger than I was and have learnt from my mistakes and now have a great deal more control of it.

Actually, joining the gym has helped because now I go and treadmill my frustrations off; I've not used my coping mechanism since, though still find it difficult to regulate the amount of alcohol I drink when I do drink.

smeggypants wrote:especially as people who enjoy going out twice a month and getting hammered for no other reason than for fun, might start to worry they have a problem.

I think that for the majority of people it's not a problem at all. I do enjoy myself when I have a few drinks now and I'm happy to report that for the most part I drink because I'm enjoying myself, but it's always a tricky situation with me and drink because of things in the past and so on.

This sort of thing is a touchy subject for me. :o



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:part I drink because I'm enjoying myself, but it's always a tricky situation with me and drink because of things in the past and so on.

This sort of thing is a touchy subject for me. :o


I hope I didn't come across as insensitive. :) I'm really glad things have got mostly sorted.

Kerry Katona on the other hand can piss off. She's talking hyped up crap for the media for £££££

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120115
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:I hope I didn't come across as insensitive. :)

No, not at all; I understand your point. I think I took it the wrong way; thinking about it, I know what Kerry Katona's like in that she seems to love the media attention, but I was just trying to point out that drink can be a problem for some people depending on things at the time and how they handle it.

smeggypants wrote:I'm really glad things have got mostly sorted.

Cheers, Smegs. :) They are mostly sorted, yes. Although I've resorted to drinking because of something in the last few months, (I'm more or less through that now though; I've got over the drinking part, anyway) things are nowhere near as bad as they used to be. I can control it these days. It was particularly bad a few years ago but I put most of that down to immaturity on my part; I was a totally different person then. I made a lot of mistakes, mainly drink related, but I've learnt from each and every one of them and would never make the same mistakes again, no matter how bad things got. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that what I went through and the stupid mistakes I made then have made me the person I am today. It wasn't easy at all though.

I don't have an addictive personality though, that's the thing. It's just alcohol I struggle with and nothing else. :| I just think that problems with alcohol are many and varied and that it affects people differently, even if I wasn't making my point very well. :o



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:I don't have an addictive personality though, that's the thing. It's just alcohol I struggle with and nothing else. :|


People can have a weakness for different things though. I could never be an alcoholic. I drunk a bottle of baileys and countless beers every day for 2 months once just for fun ( because it was free ) while working in Amsterdam. Contract ended came home stopped immediately. No withdrawal, nothing. I've indulged in many more prolonged drinking bouts as well. Never once got addicted or suffered withdrawals

But nicotine!! Totally different! I know that if I ever smoked just one cig I'd be back on 'em. I know other people who can take or leave fags.

We're all different. Kerry Katona is a twat in we're not. :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120115
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:People can have a weakness for different things though.

Yes, I'll agree with you there. Caffeine was another sort of addiction for me. Giving up was a struggle; not because I craved coffee but because the withdrawal symptoms were absolutely horrendous and I am not exaggerating either.

smeggypants wrote:baileys

Absolutely gorgeous stuff! Had a glass of it with my mate yesterday by way of pudding (we were both too stuffed for afters) and it really was delicious.

I'm actually looking forward to a few drinks over Christmas and, truth be told, getting rather trollied, but this time I'll be doing it because I want to relax and enjoy myself. I'll be doing the big Christmas alcohol/grocery shop on Tuesday. I'll be comfortable with all that drink in the house and I doubt I'll even be tempted by it. I think though if I'd not joined the gym and sort of forced myself to get a grip of myself (so to speak!) then it wouldn't have lasted while Christmas. Six years ago it wouldn't have. :o

I'd say Kerry Katona is experiencing what I did/sometimes still do, with the alcohol, if true, but if not kept in check it will spiral without a doubt, if she's drinking as a coping mechanism.



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No Chance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:People can have a weakness for different things though.

Yes, I'll agree with you there. Caffeine was another sort of addiction for me. Giving up was a struggle; not because I craved coffee but because the withdrawal symptoms were absolutely horrendous and I am not exaggerating either.


I'm pretty addicated to coffee. can'tt do without my Gold Blend. i'evr given up pretty much everything. I don't really drink much these days, apart from a can or glass of wince before bed. And occasionally two :)

smeggypants wrote:baileys

Absolutely gorgeous stuff!


We buy the Bailey's copy stuff. Much cheaper. Tastes just as good IMO. I could drink Tumblerfulls of it. I do have to show restraint!!

I'd say Kerry Katona is experiencing what I did/sometimes still do, with the alcohol, if true, but if not kept in check it will spiral without a doubt, if she's drinking as a coping mechanism.


I'd say she was increasing her bank balance. Can't stand the woman. Attention seeking idiot.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120115
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:I'm pretty addicated to coffee.

That's how I used to be; I used to drink about fifteen cups a day for around ten years or so. I never thought I'd be able to give it up but I somehow managed it.

I actually do enjoy alcohol; even when I was drinking to forget/numb stuff I still enjoyed it, whereas with coffee I didn't even like it. I drank coffee to keep myself awake because I couldn't sleep at night. I couldn't sleep at night because of the coffee I drank; it was a ridiculous vicious circle. :o

These days, when I drink alcohol, it's mainly Magners. I now drink for taste and enjoyment (though I have done for about a couple of years now, even when things went badly wrong) whereas six-ten years ago I drank mainly for the strength of the alcohol, regardless of the taste. Years ago I'd drink that stupid tramp juice masquerading itself as cider and very cheap and nasty spirits, but these days I stick with Magners. I do like liqueurs and spirits but now I drink them for enjoyment sensibly. I love Baileys and Advocaat and I ADORE Amaretto, Disaronno in particular.

Now I drink about once/twice a month, but over Christmas I'll drink a bit more often. When things went wrong not long back I'd drink every Saturday night, as much as I could until I fell asleep. When not working, I'd drink every night. In one of my last driving jobs a few years ago, whenever I had a week off I'd spend it drinking every night if things weren't going great. I'd never drink before about 1800 though, but that was after my morning drinking experiences of even longer ago. I'd never do that again. The only time I'd drink in the morning now is if I'm still drinking form the night before, never when I first wake up. I would also never EVER drink anything the night before driving; I like to keep as many hours and as much sleep as possible between my last drink and when I drive. I ashamedly admit though that that wasn't always the case though and is one of the mistakes I've learnt from. :o

I do have things under control now though and haven't drank for the wrong reasons for a good few weeks. :thumb:

Bloody hell, this is turning into a counselling session! :o



Misanthropic Trucker
Posts: 8164
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:07 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
No Chance wrote:
ariane wrote:"Some people think that an alcoholic is someone who drinks all the time but in fact it can be someone who drinks twice a month and gets hammered."

I'd agree with that. I don't think it's strictly the amount you drink that determines the problem, but more the circumstances in/around which you drink and the overall handling of it.



I don't agree with that statement at all. An alcoholic is someone addicted to alcohol. if you are addicted to alcohol you cannot just drink twice a month. More katona Bullshit!


I don't think she meant you can drink twice a month, i think she meant someone who drinks very heavily twice a month can be an alcoholic. I think she is probably trying to describe an alcoholic who binge drinks as opposed to the common misconception that an alcoholic has to drink every day. Excuse poor grammar there. Too early in morning to do it right




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

The fact is the public are not sure what the hell Katona or her inbred partner are on about, as a majority speak and read English. The drivel they churn out is some new forming chav language that i frankly don't understand or wish too :) This is another reason i think they sacked that creepy twat of a publicist, because he can speak English. The language barrier between him and they became too much. Maybe Katona was actually thanking him, and he misunderstood it as being fired? Who knows with the crap that come from those pair of gobshites :rofl:




Next

Return to Celebs

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: and 23 guests